Spartans Home

LockOn FC2 Training Mission - Sign Up

Batwing~SPARTA~

So,

After flying on Arma Air Mod, my fire for Lock On ignites again :)

I have an easy going training mission ready for F15s and Mig 29.

I know Big and Roach would like to fly. I can be available today at open wide schedule, I will check online at 12 noon EST and then at 3 EST to see if anyone is around.

I ll check this post too, so, if you wanna suggest a different time, pretty much open to suggestions.

I can Host no problem.

I have also other kind of missions, some have the Russian Chopper as a compatibility Sim, so feel welcome.

Enjoyed very much flying with you (batwing & roach) y'day. And even if I could only take off (and land, provided we would get back alive), there is still much to learn (about everything, actually).

Anyway, some screens below:takeoffm.jpg

from left to right: roach, me, batwing

slickbatwing1.jpg

slickbatwing2.jpg

slickbatwing3.jpg

I had a lot of fun also and we have to do it again!

This Sim needs practice. I didn t fly in 6 months and I had serious problem to find my targets. But I know for a fact, when you do it often, you get very used to Radar and avionics and you can really enjoy some serious shooting out there :)

AI on this game is nasty good, a real challenge. The mission I showed to you yesterday is at least for 6 ppl and we were barely 3. No way we were going to achieve anything, it was just a glimpse to a kind of an interesting mission.

We should also try to PvP, where LockOn excels indeed. We can start with an easy going 8 v 8. We will never be 16 pilots anyway and I guess my PC supports easily up to 10 but then I might have some issue.

Possibly being 2v2 or 3v3 could be a great fun anyway. We have all of the missions we need and we could really slowly Master this Sim, having a lot of fun :)

Just, let s try to get together more often and LET S DO IT!

NOTE:

About learning a bit more on how to do stuff, guy, unfortunately you need to do your homework. We can refine knowledge together but you need to ahve your homework done.

FC2 has a very well done collection of missions you can choose from offering training for ALL of the major aircrafts. Play those Training Missions.

After that, Adjust the commands you use the most on Your Joystick

Suggestion: remember your Radar is the only way to find and kill an enemy, it has 3 Very Important Features to Understand and Master::

1 - First of all look at your Radar as a Cone of Light from your Nose ahead. The space you cover with your light is larger the far it goes, meaning when you ll get close to your target there will be a very High chance to lose your target if you don t keep it the best you can in fron of your nose

2 - Range: As we said above, far you look at, more you see, but also weaker your signal become, therefore at 40 mls you are strong, at 80 mls quite weak and most probably you cannot lock anything, at 160 mls you see only very large signature aircrafts and you cannot lock anything at all.

3 - Azimut tilt (up and down radar inclination): This is almost the Most Important aspect on how Radar works and very often underestimated.. You fly in 3D, meaning your enemy is not always at your same altitude. Thing again to the Cone of Light from your nose. What you see depends on where you look at. Your enemy can be higher or lower than you, or can be at the same altitude. You need to know how to adjust your tilt and that needs to be very easy on your joystick.

Learn this stuff and you will start enjoying some good hunting :)

alright,some training missions further: shot down some targets (although not sure yet which modes to use (vertical scan, BVR, Flood, etc) or exactly which missiles.

also landed a couple of times (including 1st time on a carrier, no issues --> thanks to years of IL2 :P)

what I couldn't do for more than 5 seconds is air-refueling ...

anyway, hotas set up again (good this time), so hope to fly again with you guys soon.

x52sticksetup.png

x52throttlesetup.png

something I do want to find out still is how to change your FOV (wider than default ...). I had a solution for it for IL2 (SAN'S FOV CHANGER), though since Windows 7, I'm unable to use it anymore (+norton believes it's a virus or worm or something).

That looks like a very good homework, Congrats :)

A couple of Radar Mode info:

BVR - Beyond Visual Range - Is the one you use the most. It works from 0 up to the Max range. On this mode you can engage TWS ONLY if you are using AIM 120s - TWS doesn t work with Sparrows. In TWS mode you can "Bug" several targets at once. They are not fully locked but radar provides more info about them as bearing and altitude. Enemy pilot doesn t get a Warning sound but your AIM120 is locked. Each Bugged target has a number, meaning when you start firing the first missle will go to #1, second to #2 and so forth. You can also fire a missile voley to all targets at once, check command list for info.

BORE - Is a CQC mode. It Works only up to 10 nm and suppose you SEE your target. If you see your target or you have a generic idea where it is within 10nm you engage BORE and you aim the circle toward your target. Whatever gets into the circle will be Locked SST (locked pilot has a Locked warning and will start evasive manouvers). Once target is locked you don t have to keep it within the circle but has to be quite in front of your nose because the radar beam become focused on it and can be broken by evasive manouvers

VERTICAL - Is useful only in close Dogfight, while evading the enemy. As vertical means, your radar beams vertically from your canopy, meaning that if you are making an high G turn to avoid an enemy lock and you put your enemy on top of your head, you can lock it using the Vertical Scan and immediately shoot an AIM9x without having your enemy in front of your nose. This is quite a DIFFICULT manouver, i probably had it succesfully a couple of times since when I have this Sim.

FLOOD - It is a SPARROW Mode only. the Sparrow is a Radar guided missile, there fore you cannot "fire and forget", you have to have your target all the time painted by your radar. FLOOD is similar to BORE. It works within 10nm and will concentrate the radar beam withing the circle. You will be able to lock what is in the Circle and fire your Sparrow but you have to keep your target within the circle. If you don t radar is broken and the Sparrow goes ballistic.

The AIM9 being IR can work radar slaved or IR only. If you are able to get the AIM9 IR only you do not give any radar warning to your target. However the AIM9 is very short range, effective about 5nm. Normally you have your radar on and you lcok the AIM9 as you would any other missile. When you are in IR only (A10-A air combat) you have to use the "Cage/Uncage" command (I guess is 6 but i could be wrong) to activate the missile seek head. When you do that, you will see that the missile will automatically lock on whatever is passing into the HUD if close enough to get a heat signature. Then based on the carachteristic Tone you will know when the lock is solid and will launch. There is no advise to the target pilot. If he don t see it coming, this is a stealthy kill.

About the FOV what I do using the TrackIR, I center the track IR bending my head a bit closer to the monitor than usually I would do. Automatically when I relax on the chair, track IR zoom out and it extend the FOV. Actually don t know if this is what you mean, but is quite enough for me :)

EDIT:

BVR info edited

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~