Spartans Home

The Witcher 2 - need Tech help

Hey guys,

I am enourmously enjoying this game, but unfortunately I am facing a problem might kill all of my experience. Any suggestion is very welcome, I cannot stand this anymore.

I am suffering crashes, and I mean PC reboots, every time I get in an in-game menu, such as inventory, journal, characheter stats, trading and so forth.

It doesn t happen right away, but after few moment I m on that screen, I can bet it will crash. Never had a crash during standard 3D game.

I researched the Internet widely but I was unable to find any solution, not even a clue about it.

If anyone has ideas or experiment such frustration with this game, please reply. Most importantly, if you Do Not ever experienced the problem, please post your system config for me to see what could be the difference.

Thank you very much.

First of all, update your drivers if you haven't already. Second, get something to measure your FPS (FRAPS for example), and see if your FPS spikes on the 2D screens...I've seen some games that can reach 2000+ FPS on its inventory/UI screens, which made my GPU crap itself on occasion--it kicks into overdrive, and subsequently overheats in a short timeframe. So if it's doing that, try turning on VSync, which limits your FPS to that of your monitor's refresh rate. I doubt this is the problem, but it's a possibility. Other than that not sure what could be causing the PC to restart like that. You could also try running the game in windowed mode.

I've uploaded my dxdiag information for you to look at, not sure how much it helps. You can find it here.

Also, keep in mind I'm running Witcher 2 in DirectX10, not 11, as I have a GTX 280.

P.S. - Is your graphics card overclocked?

Thx my man,

All of the above has been tried and yet not joy. Also the windowed mode didn t help. Always Vsync on.

Actually the only thing it might have improved the situation a bit is lowering the resolution from 1920*1200 to 1920*1080. Somwhere I read TW2 does not support 16:10 ratio.

In fact, since then it works way better. It still crashes but... less than before, making the game more playable.

Further lowering the graphic doesn t help. On the opposite, it makes things worst. I tried to play at 1680*1050 and game crashed at loading step, never got into the real game.

Very unusual situation.

Thx my man,

All of the above has been tried and yet not joy. Also the windowed mode didn t help. Always Vsync on.

Actually the only thing it might have improved the situation a bit is lowering the resolution from 1920*1200 to 1920*1080. Somwhere I read TW2 does not support 16:10 ratio.

In fact, since then it works way better. It still crashes but... less than before, making the game more playable.

Further lowering the graphic doesn t help. On the opposite, it makes things worst. I tried to play at 1680*1050 and game crashed at loading step, never got into the real game.

Very unusual situation.

Strange, I play at 1920x1200 with no problems.

If you have any overclock on your gpu's I would drop it down to stock and see if that helps. I have had no problems the 5 hours I've played so here is my system config.

Windows 7 64bit

i7 950

Crossfired 6950s driver version 11.6

Running with every thing but ubersampling, v sync, dangling objects limit, and cinematic depth of field either at max or on. Screen res is 1920 x 1080.

Interesting,

you havea system very similar to mine and you are not suffering the issue.

I ma ctually still plagued by the problem and I tried everything Tech can think.

Running at 1080 is going better, but is still crashing.

I tested the work load and came out CPU has a very light work and stays below 50 celsius.

GPU is taxed but nothing above the card can handle.

GPU on 3D world is working at about 80% load never raising above 63 - 64 celsius. When it gets on the in-game menu, the workload goes drastically down and temp goes down as well.... and there is when it crashes requiring a full reboot.

I am very confused. I know this game has tons of bugs (reading a few forums about it) and Im blessed I dont have all of that crap.

However this crashing thing is very negative for 2 reasons:

1 - It is very annoying in game

2 - It is certainly not gonna be good for my system having all of these crashes requiring cutting power and reboot. This is the best recipe to. screw your hard drive.