Spartans Home

Battlefield 2142 and Punkbuster Issues

Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Howdy,

After waxing nostalgic about BF2142 in another post, I decided to fire up the game again and give it a go, only to be constantly kicked due to Punkbuster issues.

A bit of Google research presented the solution(s), and I was able to correct the issue by doing the following (your mileage may vary):

* Disabled my virtual drive software (Virtual Clonedrive in my case).

* Shutting down Fraps. Fraps has some hooks that can be exploited to run BF2142 hacks, so Punkbuster will kick you if it's running.

* Turning off "Steam In-Game Community Support" (aka Shift-Tab feature) OR shutting down Steam altogether. As with Fraps, this feature of Steam can somehow be used to bypass Punkbuster's ability to recognize hacks.

In other words, there are any number of things you might have running in the background that will cause conflicts with BF2142 and Punkbuster. Of course, all of this is assuming that you have the most up-to-date PB client for BF2142.

Ahh the EA cluster is desending apon you. that just the start of your misery. LOL! Did you go to punk buster and up date it after doing the game updates? If it was BF2 there would be 2 tarabites of updates to do. 5 0r 6 disks worth.

But out of that whole series of games i did like 2142 and crysis, If I can find that yard sale box i might load up 2142 again.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~