Spartans Home

New Camera

Postal

I am after a new video camera and digital camera. Any suggestions. I prefer to keep the total purchase under 500 or 600.

I know that Durka can make some suggestions. Maybe he even has a used one that I could buy from him on my way out of town tomorrow.

lol, I know about cameras, but not much at all about video cameras. I just bought a sony handicam today at HHgregg for $240 and it seems to work well so far. I've read just about every post on the amazon reviews that I care to stand for and here's the gist....

Canon has lousy support and cameras that are very noisy. (you can hear the tape rolling on playback)

JVC: the same, but don't know about the support issue.

Panasonic: Quiet cameras that are good and cheap.

Sony: The most expensive, but some are worth it. I just bought the DCsomethingHC38 model and am pretty happy with it. Touch screen. The battery is lousy and a replacement is $99 WITHOUT charger, but I didn't know that going in. It is miniDV and you can buy a $1 firewire cable to transfer movies to your computer and then to DVD.

Stay away from the DVD camcorders. If you look on any review site, you'll find them full of dvds not writing properly or not writing at all, and many people have lost their memories due to this. MiniDV is the way to go.

Check out pawn shops, they have used ones that are pretty cheap apparently, and HI8 is still popular. They have much more battery time and much more recording time as well.

Hope this helps.

I have a HI-8 digital from sony with 20x optical zoom and 700X digital zoom. it takes digital images as well as video (obviously) and has multiple digital outputs as well as an all-in-one style AV cable.

Its an older model but I am sure they have come a long way since when I bought mine. I will edit this post when I get home and find out what model it is.

It also has night vision.

The only problem with it is that it is kind of bulky, but no where near some of the larger hi-8 models. over all it has worked great for me.