Spartans Home

ON HOLD: Custom Track Project: American GP 2012, Austin Texas

SirSmokalot

PROJECT ON HOLD (POSSIBLY INDEFINITELY) DUE TO OTHER PROJECTS.

Introduction & Background

Hi all.

I'd like to inform you guys of a special new project I'll be working on due to a unique situation I'm in. First, let inform you of the situation, my current status and how this will be accomplished.

To start off, I live in Austin, Texas, USA (Live Music Capital of the world - Mainly due to SXSW, but a detail among many other great things in this town) in case you hadn't noticed by my location stanza to the left under my name. Not only do I have a passion for racing, I take a great deal of interest in F1 and follow it casually (I mainly like to follow GT type racing, Le Mans, 12 Hrs Sebring, 24hrs Daytona...you get the idea). Well in learning a while back this year that F1 was coming to Austin, I fealt like my heart leaped out of my chest and you can imagine the excitement that ensued a second after hearing this.

Well I still have that excitement and at some point wish to share that with those interested. I've tried to stay in tune with the devlopments and will keep you guys posted. Feel free to post any info you come across because I myself or others might have missed it. Thank you Idan for posting something on the latest track layout details.

Well being from Austin give me a unique opportunity in several realms more then Geo location and I'll explain later.

Here's the Plan

So here's the idea, I need to find a current race game that the current method and tools are available in order to make an intermediate to easy method for when I do have basic data or later manipulated data (aka a Model) be able to import it into a said game.

Here's the kicker, I have access to site plans and Geo data for the area to start (I've got friends in certain places), I have 3DS knowledge, some basic to intermediate scripting knowledge, among others. I also have the ability to cruise down to the site and gather info and the uncanny ability of small talk. I might even be able to persuade some people into letting me walk the site where the track is going and maybe some internal data that someone would otherwise have difficulty acquiring.

Now here's what I'm planning and sticking to:

•  
  • 2 iterations of the track.
  • 1 version following real plans and details
  • 1 version conceptualizing the track layout and my opinion of improvements (input is welcome as the track develops)

Here's where you come in

I need info on what semi arcade/sim racing games (example: Shift, GTR series, F1 2010, etc) have the support for custom tracks and can be worked with utilizing the various tools like 3D Studio Max (I have 2010, 2011) custom methods and tools, among others.

Now I'll admit I'm new to this and from what info I've gathered about a couple recent games the task is daunting to say the least. So that's what I'm doing here is asking what games do you guys forsee or have knowledge about where this task will be at least slightly intermediate. I'll make the list less by stating that NFS Shift is "possible" (yet very difficult and no one has a made a track for it yet and tools are limited even though there is one that states it can do tracks, yet no one has fully done it), GTR2 and GTR Evo seem a bit more likely to start as there's a bit more support for the task and will be easier. rFactor I'm not sure as I don't have the game and the age is showing as well (just the same for GTR sadly). But doesn't mean I'll stop there. Depends on racing games to come and the support and ease.

Now here's where its important to implement principal, I don't want to waste my time on something that no one will play with eventually. So maybe shift will be out of the question as its interest slides and mod support for tracks doesn't develop. So keep the list compiled of games you would play and like to see the track in that I can get it into. More info = higher likely hood I'll get it there.

To shortcut some, I've bee a member at nogripracing.com for a while and have even ran a custom track and cars GTR2 server at one point for West Coast Combat (now since dissolved and migrated to globalalien.com). We had the server full many of nights I'll tell ya!

Let me know your thoughts and please post info!

Edited by SirSmokalot

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Got a GIS raster image yesterday, the director of my GIS department is getting elevations and data for a vector.

(differences between raster and vector)

This is big news!

Same idea as this basically (Conceptual raster, click for detailed PDF):

2010-09-21-Conceptual-Master-Plan-FINAL-320x332.jpg

Yet, I have elevation data to work with now from the IMG files I've got now, along with a raster of the actual plans not a conceptual.

Next step is to get the DWG's associated through a collaborative effort with the department I work at (GIS and CAD Department) and Tilke as a local project and study since we deal with Civil 3D and GIS.

One of the instructors is full on with me as he's been wanting to work with Civil 3D visualization tools for the past year and he really thinks this type of project would completely captivate the students interests. Same with the GIS chief (Department chair).

Amendment of plans:

Ultimately I realistically see implementing this into GTR Evolution or GTR 2. At this point the focus is using ground elevation data and use Civil 3D to carve out the track. This way I can cut and fill terrain and do terrain modeling to get as close to the real thing as possible.

Cool Tidbit:

If you look at the conceptual raster (click to see pdf) you will see the red lines on the track...there you can get an idea of the race line. Its in Counter clock wise. The difference in elevation is 200ft from (lowest) pit lane and long straight up the hill and a hard left at top.

More visualizations coming but take this into account when looking at the pdf above:

f1_usgp_basictrack_layoutwelevation.jpg

Edited by SirSmokalot

Well if there's info on it I'd be welcome to it.

Right now focusing on getting the engineering model done for our department first and let the tools mature a bit.

This isn't going to be easy as with any modeling project. Tracks take a special bit of attention to because its more then building a road (the track), there's grandstands and ambience (surroundings, gaurd rails etc).

Games like rFactor, GTR, GTR 2 and the likes have these buildings and elements in the game that can be used.

I'll have to see but it would seem a proper fit to be in F1 2010, but Codemasters hasn't been too mod friendly in the past.