Spartans Home

F18 Crash on air show

IDAN

This is in my home town. I was out at noon when it happend on my bike wondering what all the fire trucks were doing flying around town. CF-18 rigged for show demo's out of Cold Lake, Alberta, During practice the day ahead of the air show, doing the low speed pass, at the end of the run he throttled up to acclerate out of the manuver as they do, usually full afterbuner pull out, the starboard engine is said to have then popped a few times with sparks and something comming out, Port engine would have been at full throttle as per manuver exit, yaw rate at such a low speed resulted in the aircraft yawing to the starboard while at the same time, stalling the aircraft, he punched out just in time. Chute was about 70% open when he hit the ground and the wind from the fire pulled him for about 150 yards across the ground. In true Canadian AirForce fashion i doubt we'll really get told what happened, but it looks like engine failure from a mechainical issue or it ingested a bird it couldnt handle. Flight conditions were very good that day, a bit cooler, mid cloud, minor wind which he was flying into during the routine. Pilot reported to be ok with minor issues, non that are anounced. Well, now we can get those F-35's on order casue our fleet crashed..... lol