Spartans Home

Venus and Mercury

rtr~SPARTA~

posted this in the shift thread thought it may be of interest to all. Only applies for the next couple of days:

Here's something for you do tonight just after sunset, between 8.15 and 9pm BST. Look to the West and about 20 degrees up. ou should see a bright 'star', this the planet Venus (if you didn't know that already give yourself a slap). If you look to the right of Venus about the width of 3 fingers held at arms length) and slight lower you can probably see a small bright 'star' It may be at the limits of vision, especially with the still bright sky, binos will show it clearly. The 'star' is the planet Mercury. You may just be able to pick out the 'crescent' in binos (The two inner planets show phases like the Moon, Venus is nearly full) Only one percent of the human race has ever seen Mercury, welcome to the elite

posted this in the shift thread thought it may be of interest to all. Only applies for the next couple of days:

Here's something for you do tonight just after sunset, between 8.15 and 9pm BST. Look to the West and about 20 degrees up. ou should see a bright 'star', this the planet Venus (if you didn't know that already give yourself a slap). If you look to the right of Venus about the width of 3 fingers held at arms length) and slight lower you can probably see a small bright 'star' It may be at the limits of vision, especially with the still bright sky, binos will show it clearly. The 'star' is the planet Mercury. You may just be able to pick out the 'crescent' in binos (The two inner planets show phases like the Moon, Venus is nearly full) Only one percent of the human race has ever seen Mercury, welcome to the elite

Sounds neat, but for the regular low clouds over Newfoundland.

Went out and looked towards the West and saw Orion, and what looked like what you described just to the left about a handsbreath. It was about 45deg up, though, which would make sense being south of you guys. I'm still not sure that was it, though, because both stars "twinkled" and wer blue in color. Mars was directly overhead.

Went out and looked towards the West and saw Orion, and what looked like what you described just to the left about a handsbreath. It was about 45deg up, though, which would make sense being south of you guys. I'm still not sure that was it, though, because both stars "twinkled" and wer blue in color. Mars was directly overhead.

Yeah I looked for it too when I went over to the garage, but I mighta been too late as it was already pretty dark. Saw Orion but couldn't see Venus or Mercury (as far as I know anyway)