Spartans Home

"Fighting" Jack Churchill

Holy Crap this guy was Batsnot Crazy, but I like him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

Fought during WWII, was the only man recorded to kill the enemy with a Longbow in that conflict! Took a friggin sword into battle, and on the Wiki page there's a pic of him exiting a landing craft with it drawn. Played the Bagpipes when leading assaults all over the world, and recieved 2 Distinguished Service Order awards. Captured by nazis, escaped, then caught again, then let go to walk 150 miles to Italy where he hooked up with the Americans.

In the history of war, when most people just want to get it over with, there are certain characters who thrive to become larger than life. It almost makes me believe in past-lives, because this guy looks like he would've been just as comfortable in some 15th Century battle.

I wish occifers could take swords into battle nowadays. Could you imagine the utter psycological confusion the enemy would have if he were to be cut down by an arrow at the beginning of an assault, or worse, a sabre? There's probably some geneva convention law against it, though.

I remember reading about him a few years back, I wonder if there's a movie about this guy anywhere?

I wish occifers could take swords into battle nowadays. Could you imagine the utter psycological confusion the enemy would have if he were to be cut down by an arrow at the beginning of an assault, or worse, a sabre? There's probably some geneva convention law against it, though.

This reminds me of a conversation between two characters in Neal Stephenson's amazing book, Cryptonomicon.

"Ronald Reagan has a stack of three-by-five cards in his lap. He skids up a new one: "What advice do you, as the youngest American fighting man ever to win both the Navy Cross and the Silver Star, have for any young marines on their way to Guadalcanal?"

Shaftoe doesn't have to think very long. The memories are still as fresh as last night's eleventh nightmare: ten plucky Nips in Suicide Charge!

"Just kill the one with the sword first."

"Ah," Reagan says, raising his waxed and penciled eyebrows, and cocking his pompadour in Shaftoe's direction. "Smarrrt--you target them because they're the officers, right?"

"No, f**khead!" Shaftoe yells. "You kill 'em because they've got f**king swords! You ever had anyone running at you waving a f**king sword?""

I wanted to carry a tactical tomahawk but the CO banned them as contriband. He said it was because they were to "frightening." We said that that was the whole point.

Damn liberal.

Well, to be fair, if I were wounded and I had a Medic come to work on me with a Tomahawk, I'd be scared s&$#less! :lol: