Spartans Home

New Mission - Need Creative Content

AJsarge

Based on "The Greatest Escape" posted earlier, I'm trying my hand at creating a similar mission. You start in the Northwestern corner of Chernarus, with a small amount of vehicles at hand to get out of the immediate area. It relies on the Ambient Combat Module (small init.sqf included to adjust settings on the ACM) to create opposition to your escape.

I've got a few options already in place (refuel the helo at your start outpost, blufor-controlled Skalisty Island Helipad, and a few others), but I don't have the creative juices to create the amount of options and situations that I want.

So...

I need ideas for...

-Escape Options

-Escape Aids

-Constant Roaming Enemies

-Constant Static Enemy bases

You can submit as many as you want, or any other ideas to add to the map. They can be reallyreally hard, or they can be a "random" freebee. I'll pick the ones that appeal to me, and you'll find out which ones they are when/if I finish.

You can submit as many as you want, or any other ideas to add to the map. They can be reallyreally hard, or they can be a "random" freebee. I'll pick the ones that appeal to me, and you'll find out which ones they are when/if I finish.

What about a look at the second mission of BIS 1.05 mini-campaign EW? A few checkpoints, pr some potential to link up with a local/milita/civi that can help you get to some useful asset or sneak past an enemy camp. I'm partial to the tactical assistance rather than directions to a motorbike. To help the immersion, give a cutscene/flyby of some intensely armed checkpoint while the newfound 'guide' is telling you what you might find.

Meet this guide early on-exchange radios-they could offer some intel and assistance as you try to reach the coast/end radius, sort of an 'underground railroad' scheme.

Yeah, well, I don't have quite that much experience with the editor and scripting. And I need some locations for checkpoints. Just on the road leading south from the start outpost?

And I've only got roughly 20 days before I'm going to reformat my desktop (not my laptop though) to get the crap off of it. After that, I won't be playing games and I'll be shipping off to BMT within a day or two.

That's not quite enough time to get a fully-fledged mission with storyline and cutscenes out the door, but I can give you guys something playable and something which can be added onto later by the other excellent SPARTA mission makers.

Yeah, well, I don't have quite that much experience with the editor and scripting. And I need some locations for checkpoints. Just on the road leading south from the start outpost?

And I've only got roughly 20 days before I'm going to reformat my desktop (not my laptop though) to get the crap off of it. After that, I won't be playing games and I'll be shipping off to BMT within a day or two.

That's not quite enough time to get a fully-fledged mission with storyline and cutscenes out the door, but I can give you guys something playable and something which can be added onto later by the other excellent SPARTA mission makers.

If I was taking the plunge, I'd probably start by disassembling the script of a mission I like, such as the new mini-campaign. It contains the checkpoints, hence my suggestion to look at EW.

Are you really that lost for creative content that you want suggestions about where to put a checkpoint? Hell, I have creative ideas bubbling inside, but I don't have the time to learn script (hardly enough time to play). How about you approach it this way-

To avoid replicating 'The Great Escape', don't make your final destination a boat, but some sort of US 'Green Zone', like a radius around a US controlled base. Pick start and finish locations opposite each other on the map, and put your character at the starting point in the editor.

What route would you take? Start driving toward the finish, and think about where you'd expect an ambush or an enemy checkpoint. Put 'em there. Then, since you/a player might expect those checkpoints, look at the detours you might take. Put more enemies there. That should be plenty to keep you busy.

Another missionset with some interesting elements is the SP campaign 'Chesty Puller' The second mission, or third, has some interesting roadblock/interactive bits

I'm already trying to pull the visual filter from EW. Maybe the soundtrack too if I can get that. But, I'm having issues with not knowing how he did it, and whether or not my init.sqf file is running during the game.

The issue with placing checkpoints and such is that I'm giving players the whole map to work with. With so many options for movement, I need more ideas than what I alone can come up with. That, and, it gives you a chance to influence what the map turns out to be.

I'm already trying to pull the visual filter from EW. Maybe the soundtrack too if I can get that. But, I'm having issues with not knowing how he did it, and whether or not my init.sqf file is running during the game.

The issue with placing checkpoints and such is that I'm giving players the whole map to work with. With so many options for movement, I need more ideas than what I alone can come up with. That, and, it gives you a chance to influence what the map turns out to be.

I don't mean that passing a given checkpoint is a success parameter (except possibly a Friendly one at the end). Rather the scenario faced by an escaping soldier would probably include checkpoints or other misc placed and/or roaming enemy squads. Whether the player sees them is up to the route the player chooses.

A quick google led me to this page on stability operations. Some good maps further down for ideas on setting up any fixed areas. (these sorts of searches always come back to globalsecurity.org, why?)

Add some morally fuzzy areas...civilians attacking you, or asking you to help them defend their homestead. A few mass graves, bodies, wrecks, ongoing firefights between other non-US factions, and other mini-objective sorts of goals that are up to the player that might result in some easier or stronger means of escape. Scatter these triggers all over the map. Your character may or may not encounter them as they escape.

You've taken the extra step that I haven't, because after frequent questioning I figured out how blasted in-depth I'd have to go to make a suitable mission.

Ah, but I've only half-taken that step. I have neither the skill, nor the want, to create a fully-fledged storyline-driven (or at least with story elements) mission. I've got a start point, an end point, and I need stuff to fill in the space between. At a later date, I'll build up a breifing. I'm asking you guys for ideas on what to fill in between the start and end.

Let me know when its done sounds cool, but you gotta Mod the motorcycles to TRIUMPH Scramblers or bonnevilles.

I always thought a mission that took a loop around the map but in a tank squad , and every 50 miles you could have resupply . if i get some time in maybe i'll give it a whirl.