Spartans Home

New maps for Domination?

Lightspeed~SPARTA~

There are several islands out there, Everon, Panthera, Sahrani, etc. At the moment, the Sahrani is active, and has very light interest.

However, Zeno and I have been discussing creating a new storyline domination map from scratch that involves a much more progressed assault of an island with limited assets at first, and slowly gaining them as ground is taken. I'd be up for doing this on a new map and using it for tactical or special occasions as an extra to public domination server.

sorry this is a little bit offtopic but a query relating to Kal's post.

in normal domination, the vehicles / troops etc that spawn at each zone varies slightly right? but is pretty much similar as in there is gonna be a ton of infantry, 2x d30's couple of shilkas vods t70 t90s etc.

could you set it so that the town / base / area you are attcking is more specific, like a tank base (errr i'm sure that has a real name) or air base etc so then the way you would attack it would be different?

i dont think the current map is suitable for this because it's just made up of towns mainly but any scope for anyhting like that on other maps?

maybe that type of thing will work with your idea above.

anyway, just thinking out loud :)

Edited by PANiC

re: maps - I have been looking at some of the other maps, here are some thoughts:

• Everon - Work in Progress - pretty. However, its very flat/smooth and lends itself to everyone turning into a sniper and taking everything out 3 miles out. It could be doable for tactical, but I wouldn't think it would last long.
  • Panthera - Work in Progress - Lots of terrain features, but almost too vertical. Definately lends itself to much more land activity.
  • Sahrani - Stable, but recent development activity. Great mix of both terrain types. The buildings are also better than Chernarus.
  • Chernarus - Stable, great mix and large - just getting a bit too common.

The problem with islands is that they are much like addon's - just HUGE - and while the devs keep tweaking the grass, it becomes a pain to keep what addon's the users and the server have in sync. Of all of them, Sahrani and Chernarus are my first choices since the maps are stable, while the others seem to be in constant flux.

Agreed on the islands. It's a pain already to keep standard addons in check, currently WiP maps would be worse. The reason why sahrani isn't played as much is because of the HUGE download you have to do for CAA1. I looked at it, and decided it wasn't worth doing.

On the "themed" towns, just take your current towns, and add a variable. If it pulls up a tank base, you get extra tanks there. Helis, helis. Infantry, ditto. That is added onto what's already there.

And the storyline domi:

Maybe start with a base at the cherno docks, first taking the (VERY heavily defended) city by foot. you then get access to the respawning humvees (which should despawn after 5 minutes so that nubs not on TS can be allowed to take them) and the MHQs. Capture the Balota airport next (which would have a red circle until capp'd, then switch to the standard main base setup with no circle), and you get A: A second non-moving spawn point and B: access to lift/wreck choppers and reward vehicles. From there, it goes into the standard domi route (randomly picking towns) until you hit the host-set town limit.

You can also have a set path (say taking elektrozavodsk, then the towns north of there, then farther, etc.) available in the parameters menu.

Little details to try.

actually i had a thought - i believe Sahrani is not working very well bcoz the ai are super human and this will be the case with all maps prior to Arma2 bcoz Arma2 is where they rebuilt the cover system so ai cant see through everything.

i like the sounds of the progressive domination though

actually i had a thought - i believe Sahrani is not working very well bcoz the ai are super human and this will be the case with all maps prior to Arma2 bcoz Arma2 is where they rebuilt the cover system so ai cant see through everything.

Sahrani is still pretty good, I have lots of fun on it. As far as cover and concealment, it depends if the guys who did the project updated the vegetation with Arma2 models.

I don't understand everything they're talking about, but the first two graphics beneath the header 'What you see on pictures', comparing an Arma tree to an Arma2 tree, taught me lots.

I like the challenge of the Sahrani map.. but we could tweak the speed of the AI down a bit.. its just that once they have you locked in they don't seem to forget ya.

As for the progressive domination - we need to pull together a meeting of our content/map makers and discuss. Me, MH6, Zeno, Durka-Durka, Kavlarokos, yourself, etc. If we plan and break it into sections to focus on, I think we can make something pretty cool. We need to keep the crew small though and the testing tight or else the challenge/excitement will drop for others that may want to play.

Downloading these maps now. I don't understand when people say that Sahrani is to big to DL. Even with 500gig HDs?? I don't get it, whats another 3 gigs anyway Sahrani is a way better map the Chernarus IMO granted the AI are more of a challenge but that makes you play more tactical and keeps immature kids off the server, well it keeps just about everybody off lol come on people please join me on the sahrani severer once and i while I swear youll have a good time ;) If your into CQC Sahrani is your map!

Downloading these maps now. I don't understand when people say that Sahrani is to big to DL. Even with 500gig HDs?? I don't get it, whats another 3 gigs anyway Sahrani is a way better map the Chernarus IMO granted the AI are more of a challenge but that makes you play more tactical and keeps immature kids off the server, well it keeps just about everybody off lol come on people please join me on the sahrani severer once and i while I swear youll have a good time ;) If your into CQC Sahrani is your map!

I need to DL the conversion. I know I would like it. I enjoy the CQB side of ARMA far more that blowing up tank after tank.

Medic hope to see you on soon ;)

Ditto, from me 'n BuzzBuzz.

Maybe we'll have enough people to focus on an AO instead of the side missions! Oh, that reminds me...post incoming to the Sahrani troubleshooting thread...

Edit: Posting the other thread I found the other-other thread about the CAA1 update. Do we want to put Sahrani dom on the newest CAA1 map?

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=4935

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

Ditto, from me 'n BuzzBuzz.

;) I just played a mission on the new map that I downloaded from armaholic and have to say that it is a very cool map the snow adds a different feel to it and you don't need NV at night ;) because of it. I also did a fly by in the mission editor and i was impressed with it. It has less "cities" than sahrani its cross between sahrani land features and chr. towns. I wish I knew how to make missions because i would love to help out with that sort of thing.

I just played a mission on the new map that I downloaded from armaholic and have to say that it is a very cool map the snow adds a different feel to it

Do you mean Namalsk? Yes, cool map. Two missions are available at Armaholic for it, but I don't think it's big enough for domination.

Viibez's Ice Pk.Namalsk co-6

F.S.F Watt-DiX's Operation Tomahawk co-13

A screen of the Ice Pk. mission just reminded me of N64 and Bond's mission to disable com sat and infiltrate the missile silo in winter. That would be a slick remake!

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

Do you mean Namalsk? Yes, cool map. Two missions are available at Armaholic for it, but I don't think it's big enough for domination.

Viibez's Ice Pk.Namalsk co-6

F.S.F Watt-DiX's Operation Tomahawk co-13

A screen of the Ice Pk. mission just reminded me of N64 and Bond's mission to disable com sat and infiltrate the missile silo in winter. That would be a slick remake!

yes Ebdan that was it. They also called it nighthawk for whatever reason. the ol n64 i remember those, bond was a cool game i remember the 4 split screen multiplayer on a 27 inch tv LOL