Spartans Home

Fallout 3 - Opinions?

Watchman~SPARTA~

Took my youngest into town over the weekend, to exchange some of her DS & Wii games. Whilst we were in the store she commented on MW2 and whether that was a possible Chrimbo gift for me. I explained how the "bad people" at IW had made a mess of the game and it wasn't something I wanted, which then took us onto the topic of what I did want for Chrimbo.

To be honest I had no idea but then saw Fallout 3 - GOTY edition and had a quick read of the jacket. Looked pretty interesting and definately capable of providing some SP action in those bored moments when no-ones in the Arma servers.

Is it a game to get?

Previous SP adventures have beem Doom3, Halflife 2, which I've enjoyed immensely. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Apparently if it's not this I'm going to get "Where's my Cow" by Terry Pratchett! :D

How old is your 'youngest'? The gore, theme, and moral grey-ness of the game make me cringe at the thoughts of a 10-year-old playing it.

For you though, lots of fun. The game world, with expansions, is still not as big as Oblivion, but the alternate 50's era design and 'what-if' cold war storyline touch home in so many ways. Spooky underground, lots of suprises, great SP storyline. It's a definite favorite, and I've only played it on the console.

Thanks for the replies, enough for me to take the plunge, or at least put it on my Chrimbo list :)

As for the youngest, she's 12 and although she has played COD2 and COD MW (which she finished before me) her staples are the likes of Mario Cart, My Sims Racing, The Sims etc. In fact the visit to the games store saw us exchanging some Sims2 stuff for "Mario & Sonic at the Olympics", which was an absolute hoot! :lol:

The GOTY edition is a decent value, since it includes all of the DLC released for the game. Unfortunately, most of that DLC is mediocre, if not outright dull. You could save yourself some money by purchasing the original release from last year; it retails in my area for $19.99 USD (Best Buy, Wally World, etc).

Otherwise, a very good game, and very much deserving of all of the "Best RPG 2008" awards it received.

What you want to do is get it, go through the SP storyline and DLCs, then grab some mods. (This is if you're playing on PC, which I presume.) If you spend a little time finding mods, you could be spending a LOT of time playing. There is some stellar work out there. I've ended up playing (A heavily modded version of) Fallout 3 for 150 hours in total over 3 characters ever since I got it in 08. It is, in my modest opinion, one of the must haves of recent years, as long as you get all the extra goodies like mods or Point lookout. On the DLC, Operation anchorage sucked but the extra stuff was nice, The Pitt was ok, definitely better than Anchorage, Zeta was almost as bad as anchorage. Truthfully the only good DLC was point lookout.(But If you want the DLC, I recommend you just buy the GOTY edition, even buying just ONE of the DLCs is a hassle with Games for Windows Live and all of that "Microsoft points" bullspit.)