Spartans Home

Installing VOP 2.1 for steam

EMT~SPARTA~

So I heard steam is different for installing this into the game... Can anyone help with this... I know most of us have this game for steam.

I would think it'd be similar to how everyone else does it. Put the @VOP folder into your main ArmA2 folder, and add this to the Steam shortcut: "-mod:@VOP"

Disclaimer: This is only a guess.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Actually, steam has a parameters section. Right click on the game name and it should be there in one of the menus. just type in the switches and it will load the game with them. The bad part is that you have to change them every time you want something different.

Actually, steam has a parameters section. Right click on the game name and it should be there in one of the menus. just type in the switches and it will load the game with them. The bad part is that you have to change them every time you want something different.

That's what I was referring to when I said the Steam shortcut. Guess I should have explained it better (thanks)

speaking of sound mods, do the sparta servers allow any, i dled the soundofwar mod and tried to get on, and denied me, i just quickly jumped on another to see how it sounds...pretty good, then i removed the shortcut stuff, to jump back on sparta. if you do allow mods like this plz, allow the soundofwar sound mod.

there is not a "parameters" section but if you right click on the game in steam and go to "properties" under the general tab, there is the option to "set Launch options".

So all that is needed now is to know what switches to use.

• 2 weeks later...
So I heard steam is different for installing this into the game... Can anyone help with this... I know most of us have this game for steam.

installing is the same(using steam v) had no problems

installing is the same(using steam v) had no problems

I also run Steam, and now have both DC and 2.1 working. The DC is enabled via your esc-menu in game. Follow the instructions in the readme and it should work (notice you have two @dc options, one for mils one for degrees).

For 2.1, I deleted everything I had previously downloaded and installed the file as provided here.

The file makeup is a little different than what you would download from armaholic. It is ready to go, no files to move, extract the only file in the .rar directly into the folder containing your arma2.exe.

I've updated and now use Alpinestar's ARMAII Launcher 1.5.0. It works with steam just fine, and is an easy way to manage your addons in lieu of a half-dozen different shortcuts.

What you're referring to about steam is the parameters section. It's been discussed here correctly, but is still unclear.. here's the clarification:

NOSTEAM:

Properties of the desktop shortcut have a target of something like:

C:\BI\Arma2\Arma2.exe -mod=@nakedchickens -nosplash

STEAM PARAMETERS(launch options):

Launch parameters of the game are found by going to:

STEAM>MYGAMES>RIGHTCLICK ARMA2>PROPERTIES>SET LAUNCH OPTIONS

In the launch options dialog that comes up you would type something like:

-mod=@nakedchickens;@dogfarts -nosplash

STEAM SHORTCUTS(mix of shortcut and launch options)

To create a typical desktop shortcut for the steam based game you would:

STEAM>MYGAMES>RIGHTCLICK ARMA2>CreateDesktopShortcut

This will create a shortcut on your desktop that has a properties of:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33900

\\this is hitting the steam executable and telling it to run the application number that designates Arma2.. this is part of their copywriting and anticheat system.

You can add your parameters directly to the desktop shortcuts target, making it:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33900 -mod=@nakedchickens;@dogfarts -nosplash

So, in closing, you can create multiple desktop shortcuts via steam, add mod switches, and name them based on their mod contect. Although this clarifies the whole steam shortcuts and launch options issue, don't forget the simple and direct option of using an Arma2Launcher.

Cheers