Spartans Home

Great Michael Yon Photo Essay

Never heard of him, but this was a pretty cool timeline. some of the shots were fantastic. Some were out of focus and even thought it is a legitimate photography technique and a function of nighttime/low light timing, I have never personally liked an out of focus shot. The frames near the mid to end with the soldiers looking at equipment or maps are my faves from this series. The last one is probably the best shot from the series (the one with the two Afghans in woodland BDUs)... timeless.

Hehe, see Medic, soldiers still use maps and protractors instead of relying on GPS :P

You've never heard of Michael Yon?! Dude, you really really need to read the book Moment of Truth. It's the best surmation (sp?) of Iraq that I've seen so far, and'll make you proud. Maybe I like it so much because it has to do with my particular AO, although we didn't care for the Strykers much.

The blurring in the night shots are due to very long exposures, probably 15-30sec judging by the stars. Some photojournalists have adopted that blurry style lately, but I figure it's due to the combat enviornment and not getting the right settings they planned for. Michael Yon's more of a journalist than a photographer, but he still does a pretty good job.

yeah it is definitely the exposure timing, i hate 'fireworks' mode on my wife's camera, its not the mode itself, but having to explain why her shots don't come out when she doesn't use a tripod to take them. she never learns.