Spartans Home

Ubisoft and DRM: How they made a pirate out of me

Sarrok

So awhile back I played a demo of Anno 2070 (Ubisoft game), and I really enjoyed the game so I bought it from Steam. Now many of you know Ubisoft uses an anti-piracy measure, DRM, which requires an constant internet connection to their authentication servers in order to play. For a few days I was able to play the game as intended, so the DRM was just a slight annoyance.

But something happened yesterday that will forever make me anti-Ubisoft (least as long as they keep DRM around).

I was playing a game of Anno 2070 when suddenly I lost connection to the authentication host server. Unknown to me at the time, one of their servers went down, I tried to reconnect, restarted the game, reset my router ect ect. Nothing worked, and it was kinda late so I just went to bed.

17 hours later I tried again, and I got the error "User already logged in". After spending an hour searching the web for a solution I found out I was definitely not the only one with this problem.

What happened was this: When the server went down, everyone that was logged in to that server was kicked client side, but was still logged in server side somehow, so now everyone that was logged in to that server when it went down can no longer log in to play

So I contacted Ubisoft support told them my problem, they said it would be a quick fix.

5 hours later still no fix, so I decided to take matters into my own hands, downloaded an cracked exe and can play the game now.

TL;DR

Ubifail sucks and I will never buy anything from them again

that is not pirateing at all.... first of all you PAID to play the game.

second of all.... you are not DISTRIBUTING someone elses copyrighted material.

I think that you are within your rights (I did the same thing for a differant game years ago)

UBISOFT has really gone to hell in the last few years.