Spartans Home

Xfer OS to New Raptor

Xross

I currently have the OS (WinXP Pro-32) installed on a 500 MB HDD that also holds programs/data (I know...foolish).

My question is how can I 'move' the OS to a new Raptor without losing any settings while maintaining the integrity of the code that will remain on the existing drive. I'm trying to avoid a completely new install of the OS onto the Raptor.

My second question regards cooling the drives. My CM830 case is setup for 4 HDDs and with the existing two installed there is plenty of room between them for adequate airflow.

When I add the new Raptor (and maybe second on for Vista) the HDD bay will be full and cooling/airflow significantly compromised.

I've seen HDD cooler fans that appear to mount onto the drive but I'm not convinced there will be enough room in the bay for 4 HDDs plus coolers for each.

If anyone has some ideas on how best to resolve this situation I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

X-Wind

Just clone your current drive over to your new drive ... Simple solution.

The program you need is Arcronis True image 10 or 11

As for cooling HDD ... mount a 92mm fan in front of the HDD if there are perforations in your case front (Not familiar with CM Stackers) Antec cases have a HDD cradels with a fan mounted in the front of cradel assembly that removes with the flick of a slide. Would be very simple to mount fans in front of HDD's anyway if you have a drill dremel and some sheet metal. You dont use the top 5.25 bays use the lower ones as case front would be perforated. If perforations just mount the fans to the case front then reattach the front panel to cover them up.

As for those fancy heatpipe HDD coolers or the ones that mount to the top ... They dont work that well in the 5.25 bays. The solution i found works best in 5.25 bays is to mount in a removable rack.

Place 2 racks in the bays and in it have your master in top and slave in bottom. The bonus of this system is you can turn your slave off and on when required thus saving power and heat generation, Also if like me and have several storage drives you just swap out a drawer unit and reboot with another slave drive inside ...

I use alloy removable racks with 2 little 60 mm fans in them they work well for my purpose and give me flexability also, Look at the Vantec Mobile racks called Ezy Swaps. Same crowd make great external boxes for a HDD that you just plug into USB/Firewire/Esata also, The external is about half the cost of a similar external unit from Maxtor or Lacie.

Ok leave ya with it .... L8R