Spartans Home

Getting Started with the Freelancer Discovery Mod

Morgan

I know some of you were struggling a bit with making progress in Freelancer with the Discovery mod.

Pro tips:

1. Start new character

2. Land on Planet Manhattan

3. Sell Ship and buy Patriot ASAP (might have to do one level 1 mission in the starting ship)

4. Transfer everything to Patriot.

5. Sell all the guns off the Patriot.

6. Buy the CLASS 2 SHIELD...(absolutely vital)

7. Buy Thruster

8. Buy Scanner

9. Buy 3 nanobots and 3 shield batteries.

10. Trade til the cows come home.

11. When trade Lane is disrupted, immediately hit Cruise Engines (F2 key) and run away. You will have no trouble getting away as long as you hit the cruise engines as soon as the trade lane is disrupted.

Keep the nanobots and batteries for getting in and out of Ports and entering Trade Lanes.

Does this work? Well, Ive spent about 5 hours playing and I have a Rhino Freighter fully equipped and 22k in cash, just waiting for my teammates to wander along so we can trade them into some awesome ships.

I ran my Freighter for nearly 4 hours with 3 nanobots and 3 batteries and ZERO weapons. I bought replacement nano's and batteries once.

The Class 2 Shield is the secret to this strat. It will absorb all attacks as long as you keep moving.

Now get out there and kick some Freelancer ass...:)

Morgan

Well done Morgan making money already... freighter already

The first thing I bought was a class 2 shield. I never lost a ship last night to pirates. I think the shield is the key.

Like many things... the rest must be a "DAM THE TORPEDO'S" ATTITUDE! B)

The first thing I bought was a class 2 shield. I never lost a ship last night to pirates. I think the shield is the key.

Well this strat only works in the beginner zone... the rest of the universe has enemies with cruise disruptors that even out the playing field a wee bit.

Initially I was having a terrible time... I was spending almost as much as I made each run, on replacing sheild batteries. The enemies seem to be ramped up quite a bit. So, I tried to find a way to minimize expenses.. I did not have an optimal trade route by any means but I did okay.

Okay...I have good news..and bad news:

Good news:

Ive traded my way into a 140 hold frieghter with 50 bots and 50 batteries. (and a class 4 shield).

Bad news:

I dont have a lot of cash other than the 100k it takes to buy 140 holds of Passengers to take from Manhattan to Pittsburgh.

Good news:

Each run on my current route is worth 12,000 credit profit free and clear of the 'kitty' I set aside for buying goods. My profit margin is 75 credits per unit x140 holds.

Bad news:

The trade route I have is not as good as it could be.

So... we should be all set for our group play...I can generate lots of cash for upgrades and new ships. However, I will need the squad to help me find good trade routes. As a freighter I am not much good for exploring new zones or new space/trade lanes.

If we can find a way to have people log into my account on the server I would have no issue with other members using my frieghter to trade up some cash when they are bored...:)

Morgan

Ok Here is an update\

Morgan and I found a "money run" lastnite.

He is generating cash while Me and Dai-san make cash, upgrade fighters, collect weapons and explore.

** One problem we have run into is the occasion when we lose a ship while opening up new territory. When this happens we lose any weapons that are not mounted on our ship. So far I have collected enough high quality weapons for 3 ships (4 guns each) and lost them all. Although it costs us nothing to get these weapons, it seems like a waste of assets.

I have now collected a partial new set. It would be good if we could transfer these weapons when possible to upgrade our friends and prevent the loss.

We are slowly moving towards Bretonian space. I remember in most other versions, the Bretonians tend to build very durable and deadly ships. This includes their fighters and their freighters. Nothing better than a heavily armored freighter bristling with turrets.

KUDOS to Morgan for his diligence in moving freight. He is generating good amounts of cash. Using the money run with that big freighter of his, I think he generated about $100,000.00 in about 45 minutes lastnight before I went to bed.

See you guys soon.

Yeah it's been quite exciting...:)

After our little jaunt round the spaceways yesterday I had amassed just over 350,000 creds running freight and passengers.

cant wait to see the squad and get you all moving up to new and better hardware...:)

Morgan