Spartans Home

BIOS/Drivers Questions+

Xross

Hello All,

Is anyone running the ASUS Rampage II Extreme MB? If so, which BIOS do you run/recommend. I'm currently at 1504 and there have been ~5 subsequent releases with 2101 being the most current afaik. I've had some nightmare scenario flash upgrade experiences which is prompting my asking what may seem obvious to most.

e

fyi .. I'm using the original i7 920 w/very modest OC (~3.2) due to an extended break from gaming, Win7 x64, 6GB RAM soon to be 12GB which I have on hand but pulled. PSU is PC P&C 860w TC (pre buy-out vintage)

---------------------

Does anyone run an EVGA GTX 580 (3072 MB)? If so, which drivers do you run/recommend. (No OC on my 580 currently and I 'think' drivers are showing as 9.18.13.697 ie antiques) I think this one is a 'duh' welcome to the present type of things but I have no pride and thought I'd ask for recommendations. I'll likely just go with the most current WHQL version unless anyone has other thoughts

---------------------

I'm trying to ramp up old faithful for A3 so sincere apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. This PC hasn't broken a sweat in years which is why the current arrangement has been more than adequate. But with A3 on the near horizon I'm struggling to avoid the urge for a new build, or major refurb, and will try to get some more life out of old faithful. If anything 'perhaps' a GPU (suggestions?) and the SSD(s) I've procrastinated on forever might be in order, but that's about it.

Many thanx in advance for any/all input. Very, very much appreciated.

Cheers,

X

I have an ASUS Rampage Extreme IV, but haven't ever updated the BIOS (I honestly think you should never update the BIOS unless you are having actual problems already).

I am also running a GTX 580 on the latest drivers with no issues.

You should be able to play A3 just fine to be honest.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was using Everest and the video driver number I listed was actually the PhysX component which hasn't changed much, if any, over the course of the more current driver releases as far as I can tell. I just DL'd and installed the latest WHQL set which is 314.22 I believe. Release date was 3/25/13 which was more current than any of their Beta drivers so all should be well. I've been having some weird video issues with the Alpha so fingers are crossed that the latest drivers will settle things down.

And I agree with you on the BIOS, particularly after having a rig or two do their book end impersonations which is alway a hoot. So I'll follow your lead and hold firm.

Again thanks for the quick reply and I'll hope to see you around and maybe give A3 a look before long.

Cheers