Spartans Home

do you own an iphone?

Zathrus~SPARTA~

Hello all,

Apparently there is a text message you can send any iphone that will cause it to shutdown. The owner does not have to open the text, the phone shutsdown when it receives it.

Currently apple is scrambling to try and figure out how to thwart this bug.

The text message that does it was announced on reddit yesterday. I have done a search for it but I am thinking apple and money have removed this thread.

too bad... I know some people with iphones I would enjoy messing with in that manner

Glitch or bug my arse put there deliberately by a coder more like too funny

Luggage has an iphone anyone want his number?

ho ho ho.....

Well I have watching this with amusement as I am NOT an apple fan. It appears to me, that it depends on what the Arabic letters are depending on whether the app crashes and reboots the phone, or if the OS crashes and... well that totally screws up the phone.

For those of you with this issue, apple has come up with a "shadetree" work around that works sometimes.... but not always.

Apple has released a workaround for an iOS bug allowing users to remotely crash iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches. The issue appears to be affecting the way Apple's operating system handles the display of messages containing specific Arabic-looking characters.

When the glitch was revealed on Wednesday, Apple told CNBC that there would be a fix available in an upcoming software update.

Until then, the company has offered a temporary way to manage any issues that may occur prior to releasing the update:

Ask Siri to "read unread messages."

Use Siri to reply to the malicious message. After you reply, you'll be able to open Messages again.

In Messages, swipe left to delete the entire thread. Or tap and hold the malicious message, tap More, and delete the message from the thread.

It should be noted that some users have experienced mixed success with Apple's suggested fix.