Spartans Home

So I finally decided to disable the page file...

warzer0

cause the computer store had a sale....

lols.png

Not quite sure what I'm going to do with all that yet. I will admit it's rather entertaining to have 10 VMs in the background while playing though...

cause the computer store had a sale....

lols.png

Not quite sure what I'm going to do with all that yet. I will admit it's rather entertaining to have 10 VMs in the background while playing though...

Beautiful.

NOW MAKE A RAM DRIVE.

MH6 posted recently a very interesting article related to RAD Drives performances. Definetely outstanding of course.

now you have 24gb, leave about 6 for System needs and you may create a RAM Drive of 18gb. It can hoste either 2 of the top line games you play the most, or the full Office suite and other working apps such as Photoshop and similar.. is up to you :)

To give you a rough idea, an SSD transfer rate is about 550MB/sec, a RAM disc transfer rate is about 5GB/sec ;)

• 1 month later...

MH6 posted recently a very interesting article related to RAD Drives performances. Definetely outstanding of course.

now you have 24gb, leave about 6 for System needs and you may create a RAM Drive of 18gb. It can hoste either 2 of the top line games you play the most, or the full Office suite and other working apps such as Photoshop and similar.. is up to you :)

To give you a rough idea, an SSD transfer rate is about 550MB/sec, a RAM disc transfer rate is about 5GB/sec ;)

I've come up with an even worse use; making and throwing away VM's at a ridiculous rate. The fact that you more or less don't have to worry about write performance anymore on a ram disk means more or less I'm building VMs from scratch in half the time it used to take, even just copying them. I think in the time I've had this I've made and discarded hundreds of linux and bsd vms, including one or two build VM's that are copied from HD to RD...

sda

....at the rate I'm going 24gb really ISN'T going to be enough. :s I've already begun pricing out a 128gb xeon system to house all this shit... it's no longer a question on why I would ever use 128gb, it's become a question, how the hell am I going to be able to afford it (needing a redundant PSU, UPS, dual processor system that takes FBRDIMMs...) . :( I recommend no one ever go ram disks.... They make SSDs look cheap and are ever MORE addicting.