Spartans Home

MechWarrior Online - some update

Batwing~SPARTA~

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a huge Mechwarrior fan but these screen shots as well as others I have seen, look 2-D'ish to me. They look like artist renditions of what the game will look like rather than actual in game captures. It is hard to describe but it looks and feels like the Mech is not a part of the world it is shown in.

Do you think so?

Interesting.. Especially that shot where you see the missles flying, should be real.. I saw that same effect on one of the game action released videos, when they were launching missles.

That background seems the same they used for the demo videos as well, which instead lead me to think is the "only" available enviroment they have working so far.. I might be wrong..

Oh well.. In my opinion at least the job is ongoing, it seems a good job.. they are having press releases and comments.. and so far they didn t beg for money using Kickstart.... (did they?)

So I am still very interested on this and i hope will stand up to the expectations ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I just read that and I was a bit confused.

So, it has been advertised all over the place as F2P but now the "closed Beta" costs either 60 or 30 bucks ???

Yeah, I read about the "perks" but, really 60 bucks for a closed beta?

Is the game industry just going nuts? Are they just inventing new ways everyday to milk money?

Man, I miss the ole' good times when a game was advertised, went for sale, you like it you buy it. Possibly retail version, possibly completed and ready to play.

I also miss thoze days where to beta test a game, possibly your time was paid. Now gamers are bece so Idiot they pay full retail price to beta test a piece of junk!

... And noone feels offended either ;)

Skaz I am surprised like you are.

I had very high expectations for this project. This unexpected change in direction with "pay for Beta" is not what I wss expecting.

On the other side possibly the game will still be good when launched public.

This thing is just leaving a bitter flavor in my mouth. I will not partecipate to this Beta but I still interested with the final product.

You know what happens, if they already implement this pay to play feature in a beta, imagine what will happen when the free final product is released?! The people that are going to win are the ones that pay. Just like world of tanks...

At least in tanks hardly anyone uses it during randoms,and when they do you can see the nice bluetracer and laugh at em.....but this mechwarrior...walletwarrior....ha! no ty....60bucks to beta test too?!....they should pay me to test!

I shall now quote ref Ha.G.Moto "this game is juuunk!".

You said it Noob! LOL

I think what you are seeing here is result of some activity that recently took place where a game called Path Of Exile, allowed people to donate cash to the cause with reward of some in game items (shop cash) plus the ability to participate in the closed BETA program.

The developers received over $200,000.00 dollars US (read story here), so it does not come as a big surprise that every independent developer from this day forward is going to use this as a vehicle to generate developer needed dollars. So get used to seeing this "Pay to BETA" as round 1 followed by a Kickstarter round 2. It is important to note that the POE donation campaign never guarantees a completed product to any of its 'DONORS'. rolleyes.gif

Mark my words, in the very near future, there will be a dude that will collect 100's of thousands of dollars from one of these campaigns and disappear with all the cash.

Im surprised it hasnt happened already.....maybe it did with a really small project.....but you gave me an idea,i need about 480000 Dollars to develop my idea: its a game where 2 rectangles are controllable on both sides of the screen and in between a square "ball"like pixel can be slapped back and forth trying to score a point by making the other person miss the "ball", now in the middle these ghosts are trying to catch a "missing pizzaslice...pizza" which is controlled by a third player.....and stuff.

Im surprised it hasnt happened already.....maybe it did with a really small project.....but you gave me an idea,i need about 480000 Dollars to develop my idea: its a game where 2 rectangles are controllable on both sides of the screen and in between a square "ball"like pixel can be slapped back and forth trying to score a point by making the other person miss the "ball", now in the middle these ghosts are trying to catch a "missing pizzaslice...pizza" which is controlled by a third player.....and stuff.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm pizza!

i need about 480000 Dollars to develop my idea: its a game where 2 rectangles are controllable on both sides of the screen and in between a square "ball"like pixel can be slapped back and forth trying to score a point by making the other person miss the "ball", now in the middle these ghosts are trying to catch a "missing pizzaslice...pizza" which is controlled by a third player.....and stuff.

Where do I sign up and pay my donation?

I have been looking forward to this for some time. I have signed up for beta given how far they have gone in dev I think it worth some money. Check their new vids on the site it looks good.

Unlike most beta and kickstarts this game is a good way to being complete.

I am a huge Mechwarrior fan but these screen shots as well as others I have seen, look 2-D'ish to me. They look like artist renditions of what the game will look like rather than actual in game captures. It is hard to describe but it looks and feels like the Mech is not a part of the world it is shown in.

You need to watch the in game vids on their web site mate, nothing 2dish bout it.

Cent,

I am huge MW fan too, and although I do agree this game so far delivered interesting results, is the "Free to Play" suddenly change in policy that leaves me unhappy.

I see how many other "Indie" Devs are using wird methods to collect money, but it was nice to see these guys were serious enoough to not do it.

Suddenly that feeling changed when they come over asking for a $60 BETA access (all perks are just BS). So the game is free to play, but you pay $60 if you wanna Betatesting??? What the hell this ppl is smoking ???

And I m telling you, is not the money itself. if this game was advertised as a standard retail game, $60 retail price, instead all of the buzz being "the first Mechwarrior game free to play" and bla bla.. In that case, i love MW enough to be nuts and pre-purchase something in BETA.

It s just the subdole change in business model that pisses me off. If you want you can add the lack of respect for gamer intelligence, also.

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

battwing, world of.tanks beta was paytoplay, sure in the good old days testers used to get paid not any more. For a $60 slot u get 2months prem account at launch $80 of in game cbills n an elite mech. seems an ok deal to me but thats my choice. I think its worth a shot. I have spent more than that on wot since I started playing n I dont have that much to show 4 it. The diffrence with mwo is u wont be Able to buy mechs with gold, all perks and all mechs are available for all at the start, u can have an atlas or a jenner at launch all u need is the cbills. In wot u need to spend 3 / 6 months leveling up to get to top tier. Thats the main diff to wot.

Edited by Cent~SPARTA~

Well, i see your point.

I have an internal fight about this. On one side i wanna get in the cockpit, it has been way too long time... on the other i don t like to pay to betatesting something.

I will see what is the feeling will prevail