Spartans Home

DayZ - Zombie Mod for ARMA 2

Phisher~SPARTA~

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this will certainly be interesting, I will go away for a month, lets see how much work they get done during this time! I hope I have good suprises when I return.

@Kal - the caps on that post kinda looked like i was desperate, it was from yelling in local, friendly! friendly! lol.

Hope you guys have fun, and I hope it doesnt burn out.

Finally bit the bullet.

Watched two people betray a friendly in Stary. Was observing them for almost 30 minutes through NVG's. They weren't very bright, running around with the flares and such. I assumed they would make a go for the grocery store. Lined up so I could take them out with the winchester. They completely bypassed the store and by the time I saw them they were walking right toward me at a distance of about 10m. Took them both out but one of them had an auto-shotty and was able to kill me as he died. Trying to get my stuff back now.

Success!

I was able to join a different server, run up to Stary. Tried joining previous server though it was totally fubar. Waited 1hr to get in from loading screen. My body, plus NVG's, Rangefinder were still there. Thought the Coyote pack vanished when I tried taking it.

I have a CZ550 w/ like 10 clips now but it doesnt work with NVG's.

Last night I thought I was at Berenzino and on the east coast, the while time I was on the south coast around Kamenka. The air strip I came across was Balota. A person can get turned around at night.

Finally made it to the airfield northeast, it was long journey!

Success!

I was able to join a different server, run up to Stary. Tried joining previous server though it was totally fubar. Waited 1hr to get in from loading screen. My body, plus NVG's, Rangefinder were still there. Thought the Coyote pack vanished when I tried taking it.

I have a CZ550 w/ like 10 clips now but it doesnt work with NVG's.

Wait - so your dead body was accessible on a different server?

Wait - so your dead body was accessible on a different server?

No I basically I changed servers and was headed back to Stary just to get new gear. When I got there I decided to switch back to the older server and just see if my body was still there, and it was. Hadn't been touched.

Made some new friends last night and got them on TS. It was fun and extremely tense before hand but I think the payoff was big as the guys that joined up with us are great.

Good deal , Make them comfortable thumbsup_anim.gif .

Always good to see new faces.....well some anyway haha!

Im starting to not like this mod, specially the direction Rocket is taking it...

Rocket keeps saying this

DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game it was more of an experiment, I prefer the term "anti-game" - in other words the mechanics are not designed to be balanced, or offer a way out for different situations. These are things game designers normally take care with.

I discussed this with the our team members at great length of many arguments, the idea behind safe zones. The eventual consensus was that it went against the ethos of the project. This whole concept, and the reason it "works", is that there IS no safe zone (unless you make it). Your actions have real and brutal consequences. There are no game designed safety nets.

It is the kind of system/environment that will sometimes make you want to punch the computer screen. But with that kind of risk, comes great emotional reward when you carry something off. The sniper you describe - there are people like this in the world, and in the breakdown of order I can bet that there would be people who would sit on a roof and shoot people "just for the lulz".

The system makes no judgement on player actions, and this is one of the only real rules that was adopted for the development. While consequences may occur for a particular action (e.g. humanity loss), no judgement is implied or placed on that behavior. Beyond hacks, and misuse of exploits, regulating player behavior is not a scope of this project. If players, themselves, wish to group together and attempt to regulate the behavior. Well, that's entirely up to you.

This kind of activity is not for everyone. It really is more of a social experiment than a game. There is no intention to change that, if you dislike the PVP, then I would recommend playing Dynamic Zombie Sandbox or Celery's excellent Chernaus Apocalypse - there is no point in these being recreated through this mod.

Why make something that has already been done?

This was his response to a 19 page PVP thread....

Its not PVP its just trolling, they dont loot, and they dont have any reason to fight they just do it cause there dicks... And rocket basically says its working as intended... Did he work for CCP on EVE online?

I wish this was RL cause I wouldn't have to shoot these assholes over and over again.

Edited by Donziboy2

Lets be honest Donzi - this is somehow news to you?

Games do not drive a specific moral code alone. The mod has no goal, other than what you make of it in a persistent 'life'. Its clear that if anyone can kill anyone, that you will have every level of human interaction - be is in spite, revenge, or to survive. Survive itself isn't a lofty goal, so people will turn this into what they want. And the moment you have an ability to glorify an action (# zombies killed, # hours alive, # murders..) you will get someone who wants to be the leader in a stat.

I think this mod highlighted that people have been looking for a persistent world zombie survivor MMO, and that its everyone for themselves.

Respawn nullifies any will there is to "survive" in any Arma mission\mod.......your life is not worth anything because of it......trying to kill someone\die trying or getting killed means nothing; it always results into pk and then abandoning the mission\mod and moving on out of boredom.

Dying and killing players needs to be punished heavily....but how...

Totally agree - revive numbs you to concept of death. Recently, I have heard people get animated on TS because they died for X reason. They are animated because death has a real impact. This mod is something where when I'm playing it, I am on edge at all times and never really idle. Heck, I'll log off to go to the bathroom. :P

Unsure on what to do with PK's though - the humanity concept is interesting, but doesn't dissuade them.

I was thinking create a system so the less humanity you have the longer you have to wait to re-spawn...

So a survivor can re-spawn instantly but a -20000 bandit has to wait 3-5 hours to re-spawn on any server.

And humanity should tick really slow.

They chose to basically be evil there should be consequences.

As a species its hard wired into use to create community's because it makes survival easier.

Edited by Donziboy2

Dying from PVP sucks. It's frustrating. It makes you think you just wasted X many hours all to be killed.

But, I haven't played a game that made me feel that way in a long time.

There is also a tremendous amount of accomplishment and thrill when you pull off a raid, loot someone's gear, or see other people's choices play out in front of you @ 700m.

Rocket is also making groups more permanent, through basecamps, structures, and I believe more models. Not to mention when it gets integrated into ARMA 3.

It's not for everyone, but the potential it does have goes beyond almost any game out there that I can see.

Personally I enjoy this game mode a lot as is, it could be improved with more features and some tweaks, but overall it is fun. You get to experience the bad and the good in players. Haven't had a problem being killed by other players. Yes it has happened, but I learned really quickly that I should be careful and move stealthily sizing up any situation before committing. Earlier in a random group who were working together we got supplies and started moving out of town. I stayed back to help an injured guy who started passing out, then we approached our group at the next house 200m or so across a field. I was moving crouched, the other guy was sprinting at the group. He was killed by his friends. All that kind of stuff I see as very realistic. Hopefully they do not try to force people to play a certain way through game mechanics. Right now there is a good system that identifies people who killed a lot of players which is more than you'd get in real life. You better believe there would be people shooting anything that moved near their fort.

I don't see the problem with PVP, there will be times when you will be forced to engage other players no matter how friendly you try to be. People start confusing holding a weapon pointed at you with a right to authority over you and you should have to play by their rules. Well, I have a gun too and maybe I don't like the way you're talking bud. :gun:

Edited by AlarmedBread