Spartans Home

DayZ - Zombie Mod for ARMA 2

Phisher~SPARTA~

Hey guys,

I have been pretty busy with work, but I recently I fired up this mod I saw on Armaholic:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16613

It's pretty amazing for only being in Alpha Stage.

Basically a zombie survival mod where you stats and inventory are saved every time you logoff or join another server. You have to scavenge for everything (think Stalker). Other survivors are also about (players) but there are no rules currently so it feels much like the wild west. You can be betrayed or join a survivors group. Most people are friendly and killing other players is shamed.

There are a lot more details and I would be happy to share more if other people are interested.

If you do install, just put all of the downloaded .pbo's into an @DayZ folder in your ARMA 2: CO (Arrowhead) directory and also launch PMC and BAF expansions. Nothing else. Look for a filter on multiplayer called DayZ. Anyways its been great fun so far, very close to my ideal zombie mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Q8c8jnL3s&feature=player_embedded

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW I did want to add, that once you get a small stock of supplies (food, camping tent, shotgun, ammo, medical supplies) you can basically hoof it out into the woods and survive on your own.

Right now I basically spend the time hunting and filling up my water canteens and then moving into town to restock when needed. So it definitely is not confided to towns or cities.

Yeah it looks like he is trying to leave them mysterious or something.

At the 1:00 - 1:15 mark you actually see the zombies walking (thy are custom models so they have pale and bloody faces). They are the ones slowly walking. The way the zombies work is they basically act like your classic zombie slowly walking around while your are undetected. Once they see or hear you they turn into the 28 days later type zombies and will start running.

Also, the audio you hear later in the video as the player is running through the forrest is the real sounds they make. Pretty terrifying.

If anyone does want to play I would recommend joining the NZ server (one I usually play on) it has a cap of 25 people, most of whom prefer to help out rather then kill each other. On all the servers the clock is realtime, so in NZ it is daylight during US daylight hours.

Here is a more accurate gameplay video:

A few more that I have found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54pbaLNLTlA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIA1LTDVSDA

Edited by Phisher~SPARTA~

nice find phisher, i think we at sparta had loads of fun with it this weekend.

pulled off the bis forums...

"Social experiment indeed, but after what I seen in just 5 hours in this mission I have no faith in humanity anymore. Some kind of morale system is urgently needed in DayZ.

So far I meet only one player that did not shoot me for the gear i had gathered and that one just did not because he knew me from Warfare BE. Currently it turned out sadly that the safest way to deal with humans is to kill them and that somethingn I don't like...that's simply too much Hill Billy USA for me."

loooool

Some kind of morale system is urgently needed in DayZ.
LMFAO "friendly?!" POOF! this is one mod where there is NO room for moral bs.......you come close to us i pop ya and loot all your shit...dont wanna get shot? go hide inland in some obscure Chernarussian village and walk around all alone..."im so scared!".

Its the fear factor in this mod that I like. The fact that you do not respawn with your gear and have a sense of loss, coupled with the fear of the fast zombies and lack of trust in other players and their motives makes for a very suspenseful mod. I like it, and look forward to playing it more. In fact, if I can find out how, I'd love to see if we could host it.

Tossing a mod like this behind a locked server having only "us" playing it takes away half the suspense though.

The mod has so much potential and its so freaking simple,what it needs is a zillion player slots.......imagine gangs occupying towns and setting up borders...all out war with neighboring gangs etc....problem is it gets really laggy when the server is at 50players and the amount of zombie's gets too high.

This is what the mod maker is doing for the PVP System, said it will be implemented today or tomorrow:

To clarify:

Not going to remove or even restrict PVP. The intent of this whole mod is to provide you choices, the intent of the planned change (humanity) is to provide some impact of those choices. There's not "punishment" for PvP, but doing alot of PvP will cause your character model to become a "bandit" model. This will make you recognizable as the type of role you have taken on. Your choice in the world is whether you want to retain your humanity, or whether you want to survive. The two are not mutually exclusive, but sometimes you come to a situation where you will need to make a choice.

My whole intent, with the entire game mode, was to make a situation where real human emotions are forced out and experienced - both the good and the bad. My experience in the military taught me sometimes the most rewarding moments come when things were the hardest, when terrible things happened, but they were overcome. My key intention was to make something very brutal, almost cruel, for those like me (I'm the kinda guy who always turns the difficulty right up to max) who want to experience real human emotion (be it absolute frustration, defeat, anger - through to happiness and excitement).

I guess what I am saying, is it has not been about "gameplay balancing" (which is not my best area), but about forcing the player to make choices, some of which are cruel, some of which are not balanced at all, and some of which can easily lead to no win situations. In fact, I didn't even intend it to feel like a game. I prefer the term "anti-game" because I've broken many of the "rules" of gameplay. But personally, I think that's why it is enjoyable even in its very broken and basic state.

I really like the US3 hardcore server, first, no crosshairs and no bullshit spacebar location. It is better, you dont know who is around or who is who. It does not show score, who killed or who died. Making even more suspensefull.

Yea, I think as long as the day/night ratio is good we should stick with it. If we play with TS we are already at an advantage as we can identify quickly who and where we are. We are all used to the lack of crosshair's too.

I personally love this mod! I found 5 people last night while walking around, all friendly and willing to stick together. I think we were all scared of going alone...

The only way I found them was by leaving my direct communication mic open and just stating "hello? anyone alive around here?" People came out of the woodworks.

I learned one thing last night... save your ammo. Don't go in running and gunning, just cause you have 5 clips. You will need them later.

I personally love this mod! I found 5 people last night while walking around, all friendly and willing to stick together. I think we were all scared of going alone...

The only way I found them was by leaving my direct communication mic open and just stating "hello? anyone alive around here?" People came out of the woodworks.

I learned one thing last night... save your ammo. Don't go in running and gunning, just cause you have 5 clips. You will need them later.

Definitely good advice. The revolver and winchester shotgun seem to have the most ammo about. I generally won't shoot unless I am surrounded or there is cache of items I am going after (grocery store, airfield, apartment building) where there is a good chance of finding more ammo for my weapon.

I don't know how people can handle running around with M4's and M24's as their primary, I would be constantly worried about being overrun and having to deal with no ammo. It will be nice when we can permanently store the items in a tent and basically grab the most effective weapon (like an m4) for a current situation.