Spartans Home

Advice on new Graphics card??

Rizz, these are the same two cards I've been looking at as replacements for my 4870. Started looking around 3 months ago and it's interesting to see that prices have dropped by around £30 in that time. I did a ridiculous amount of research ad at the time they were the best two cards for £200, so I guess now there the best two for £180!

As Halli mentioned the 580 is the better choice for long term capability but I guess you're in the same boat as me and not able to splash £300 on a card!

Having said all of that, my 4870 is playing everything I do at the moment fine and as I'm not planning on any new games other than Arma3, next year, I may stick as I am and see how the prices look in a few more months.

I think they are both excellent cards.

I got a Sapphire 6950 2GB almost 1 yr ago and I am super happy with it.

You should consider something about the 6950 that the 560 doesn t have: 6950 may become 6970 with a simple 5 mins modding (depend on models)

This would give you a superior card class saving a bunch of money.

I did it, it worked flawlessy and it works amazing. In fact I can say I have a 6970.

The process is really simple but the only care you have to pay to is being positive the model you buy can do it. I got that Sapphire for that specific reason.

Usually if you read the "Users reviews" you will see if other users are succesfully modding their card.

This is the only actual reason why today I could see a reason to go 6950 instead 560. Modding to 6970 delivers extra performances and put the card a notch above the 560.

that 560 is on offer this week rizz :D

been looking at cards myself, looks like mine has died, or at least i dont have any display, seems like the pc is booting but no display. could be the psu, will have to borrow a similar card from someone to investigate. damn frustrating tho, sat here on my work lappy, on the plus side... my house is really tidy :D lol.

so i find out my gfx card is bust :*(

after a quick read it seems the 7850 might be the way to go at this price point (under £200). faster, cooler, uses less electricity than 6xxx and the 560s, plus the 2gb ram is nice compared to nvids.

just a little thread from this evening: 6950 vs 7850 although there is not a lot in it in reality as always with pc stuff.

**HIS 7850 ICEQ X PRE-ORDER DEAL!** £185 at 'clockers.

think i might be placing my order soon :)

Should you check this review to have a basic comparison between the newest cards avaialble?

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/36125-amd-radeon-hd-7870-hd-7850-graphics-cards/?page=6

Actually I would say the 69xx series is still very competitive. Almost the 6870 should be considered as competitive if you have a budget issue. Sure 6870 has lower performance but at $190

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/36125-amd-radeon-hd-7870-hd-7850-graphics-cards/?page=6

it may be a good solution, versus $250 for 7850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131464

or $250 for this 6950 which might be moddable to 6970 (check if is true)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987

I've got an EVGA GTX570. It runs everything flawlessly on a single monitor, and I only have to lower a tiny bit of the graphics for my 3-monitor setup.

Just note: if you play BF3, the top-end gfx cards still have stability issues. I may just have to update my drivers if NVidia has fixed it on their end. But I can't play more than 30-45 minutes without the game locking up on me. Stability is fine everywhere else.

haha so which one you bought??

missed this one sry dood, i ordered the HIS one, but gonna have to wait a bit longer :wallbash:

HIS delayed shipment, they ship from Hong Kong tomorrow, delivery later next week. Delay was due to a shortage on a part for the IceQ X cooler.

Edited by PANiC

• 3 weeks later...