Spartans Home

Arma 3

Denny

Great to hear people bitch and moan after 15 minutes of game play. Its still a work in progress.

They can add or take away things that don't work before the final release. Bis wants players opinions.

Give em your two cents on what you do or don't like. Okay?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denny,

I don't believe anyone here is bitching or moaning. This is a community where we can state our feelings about the game and express how we feel about a particular detail.

Here are some tips I found in the Options in order to improve the Handling of the game.

* Mouse smooth - turn all the way down.

* Head Bob - Turn all the way down.

* decrease "details distance" under "view distance" - will help with FPS when looking at large towns far away.

Also, any changes you make to "options" in the main menu, may reset when you join a multiplayer server. When you get in, double-check your settings (Discovered that last night).

Thanks for that advice. I forsee lots of improvements in the near future.

I just played 11 hours yesterday and last night. Might be a little burnt around the edges.

Sorry for the attitude. hope to see you guys in muti-player.

Later

Hey Spartans & Friends,

I haven't been around much, but ArmA 3 Alpha is loaded and ready to go! I hope to join you folks for the odd informal match! B)

I didn't care so much about the lighting as the almost impossible to operate CQB movements. You have COD on one end of the spectrum, and ARMA on the opposite end, when it comes to movement. I'd love to see something in between. A little smoother and faster than ARMA, but not arcadish as COD or BF3. I know, wishes wishes...

In my short time with Arma 3 so far, I thought it was much improved. Not just the animation but the first person aiming is significantly less clunky than Arma 2. Not quite where I want it but definitely a step in the right direction for something that was much needed.

More importantly, you can now hit moving targets! Last night we were in a multiplayer game on an end user's desktop and we were picking people off at distance while they were trying to retreat. That's probably the first time I've ever had sucess with that in Arma, and was easily my biggest gripe (not to mention the most ridiculous issue in the whole game for an "infantry simulator)

So for me the ground operations are soo much better and more enjoyable even so far. Sadly my short run with the helicopters left me soured. Flying helos is my favorite part of Arma multiplayer, given that the new Arma supposedly uses the Take On Helicopters engine, I was hoping for more realistic and challenging flight models. If anything it is easier than Arma 2. Hope there's a mod for better flight models and that Sparta would consider using it.

Sadly my short run with the helicopters left me soured. Flying helos is my favorite part of Arma multiplayer, given that the new Arma supposedly uses the Take On Helicopters engine, I was hoping for more realistic and challenging flight models.

I haven't gone back to confirm this information before posting this, but I'm fairly certain in one of the A3 videos I watched, it was stated that the Alpha's flight model is just a placeholder and they have not implemented the Take on Helicopters bit yet.

- JHunter

I know nothing of this Take on Helicopters thing, but as is, the flight model in A3 seems smoother and easier to operate. I'd say it's more realistic, but considering that I've never stepped foot into the cockpit of any actual aircraft... I won't do that.

Well, I got to try it out for about 15min tonight before heading off and what I originally thought was fixed (CQB) looks as if not a single thing was changed. I loaded up the editor and tried to negotiate the air tower staircase, and it was just as difficult as the original ARMA. The mission I played made it seem ok, but I soon found out it wasn't and this is really the same engine with updated graphics. Sigh...at least it's still got all the other good ARMA stuff that we all know/love.

The devs may want to make it more appealing, but until they use a different engine, they won't have any success.

My first impressions, granted they were 15min, were "meh, nothing different".

I feel like this in a lot of respects and yet I notice there are a number of improvements too.

I understand the AI are still struggling a lot indoors and wish they could sort that out. It's always interesting to me that GR CQB was great and that was over 10 years ago now.

But I loved Arma2 despite its flaws and this will be no different.

Anyone know if there's a way to import/export keys from ARMA II?

What do you mean? Like the CD Key?

Oh. Key bindings. Look at the ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 folders in your Documents. Open the files .ArmA2OAprofile and .ArmA3Profile. Copy settings as needed. Some may or may not work depending on engine changes.

I would certainly like to give it a shot if you guys are getting back on the Arma horse.. :thanks:

Bitten by the ArmA 3 bug as well mate :yes: As soon as I figure out this 'Steam' thing I'm hoping it will be smooth sailing. Glad (very) to hear you're joining in the festivities.

From my few hours inside the editor, It doesn't seem like BIS has done much besides graphics engine updates (better graphics for near-same performance costs as A2, render to texture for mirrors or video screens, and more) , the flight model that I only see a little bit of (ground effect is in play, tail rotor on the littlebird has more authority at high speed), and ragdoll/physX implementation (enemies crumple nicely when shot while standing, but a few glitches when they're killed while crouching).

What is present throughout, is a whole new level of polish that Arma 2 never had. The Stance Adjust system, though still buggy and with room to be changed, gives the me same sense of cover/shooting options as if I was playing paintball in real life. The responsiveness of the mouse and tweaking of weapon/building collision makes CQB fully possible now. The different movement speeds tied into the stance system allow you to fluidly move through a battlefield while still being able to shoot unexpected enemies or sprint from cover to cover.

AI is improved. I've been using the Urban Patrol Script to set up small SP scenarios, and I see AI running across bridges, running into/through houses (when doors are open), and up/down the stairs into Marina's riverbed.

The future-war setting is off-putting to some who want modern weapons and vehicles, but I expect the mod community to step up and get working soon. With the new character system, It will be easier for modders to add new uniforms, armor, and accessories. Same for weapons if BIS changes how the attachments are handled.

For being in Alpha, it's looking amazing. If you're not happy now, shelve it for a few months until the Beta rolls in or it's fully released.

From my few hours inside the editor, It doesn't seem like BIS has done much besides graphics engine updates (better graphics for near-same performance costs as A2, render to texture for mirrors or video screens, and more) , the flight model that I only see a little bit of (ground effect is in play, tail rotor on the littlebird has more authority at high speed), and ragdoll/physX implementation (enemies crumple nicely when shot while standing, but a few glitches when they're killed while crouching).

What is present throughout, is a whole new level of polish that Arma 2 never had. The Stance Adjust system, though still buggy and with room to be changed, gives the me same sense of cover/shooting options as if I was playing paintball in real life. The responsiveness of the mouse and tweaking of weapon/building collision makes CQB fully possible now. The different movement speeds tied into the stance system allow you to fluidly move through a battlefield while still being able to shoot unexpected enemies or sprint from cover to cover.

AI is improved. I've been using the Urban Patrol Script to set up small SP scenarios, and I see AI running across bridges, running into/through houses (when doors are open), and up/down the stairs into Marina's riverbed.

The future-war setting is off-putting to some who want modern weapons and vehicles, but I expect the mod community to step up and get working soon. With the new character system, It will be easier for modders to add new uniforms, armor, and accessories. Same for weapons if BIS changes how the attachments are handled.

For being in Alpha, it's looking amazing. If you're not happy now, shelve it for a few months until the Beta rolls in or it's fully released.

Very well said. Its was a pleasure to shoot with some of the Sparta crew tonite. Hope to have many more games in the future. (didn't mean to reproduce the whole thread above).

Edited by Denny

Hello fellow Arma3 players!

I thought I would swing by and share some infos with my Spartan buddies.

Please be careful if you elect to participate in the "Developers Build" program in STEAM, it can cause server issues. We have had multiple instaces and mission instantly stopped because we all turned into birds when a player with the "Developers Build" joins the server. Unless all players including the server have the developers build, it will freak things out MAJOR.

You may say "Hajimoto, how do I know if I have that BETA/Developers Build thing on??"

I would say:

• Right click on Arma3 in your STEAM library
  • Click properties
  • Click on BETAS tab
  • Be sure you have the "none - opt out of beta programs" selected and not the one called "development - Developers Build" .

I hope this info saves you some heart burn!

• 4 months later...

That's a good read, honest and well thought out. I for one applaud their honesty and commitment with this, as it means getting us good gameplay at release with more goodies to come.

To be honest the campaign for me will just be something for the back pocket, never played played the Arma 2 campaign, so not desperate for this. Co-op is my big desire with this, so crank out those custom missions!

That's a good read, honest and well thought out. I for one applaud their honesty and commitment with this, as it means getting us good gameplay at release with more goodies to come.

To be honest the campaign for me will just be something for the back pocket, never played played the Arma 2 campaign, so not desperate for this. Co-op is my big desire with this, so crank out those custom missions!

Totally agree, the campaign is not as important as the multiplayer (most people aren't anticipating leading squads of guys through complex learned maneuvers they just wanna get in and interact with other players). The sooner the full item list along with an actual build of the game ready to be modified by players is really smart IMO.

I'm glad to see them doing this. :thumbsup:

Totally agree, the campaign is not as important as the multiplayer (most people aren't anticipating leading squads of guys through complex learned maneuvers they just wanna get in and interact with other players). The sooner the full item list along with an actual build of the game ready to be modified by players is really smart IMO.

I'm glad to see them doing this. :thumbsup:

+1 totally agree interactions with real players is key to Arma

• 3 weeks later...

Altis has been released today in the Dev. build. :) Just opt in the dev build and start downloading the 2.5gb update and go run around the island.. that is if you have all day!

26-08-2013
EXE rev. 09501
Size: ~2.1 GB

• Added: 270 square kilometers of hot sun-baked Mediterranean Altis terrain
  • Added: Supporting assets such as static objects (some of which usable in editor)
  • AI rotation behaviour refined
  • AI accuracy calculations refined
  • Fixed: Helicopter engine sound played after damage
  • Fixed: Editor insert unit pictures, colors settings do not require restart anymore to take effect
  • Changed thrust and brake for tracked vehicle damaged tracks
  • Sound: Default volume now 100%
  • UI sounds volume driven by radio slider (instead of music previously)
  • Updated static table for network strings (MP optimization)

Enjoy :)

Hey found the cave on stratis , nice / the ofsprey can wait visit this later..

Anybody know about the sunken city in ALTIS (???)

(googled this below )

1. Hephaistos - het amphitheater van Limnos en tempel.
  2. Myrina - het kasteel van Myrina en de diverse archeologische opgravingen ancient Myrina.
  3. Kaveiria - archeologische opgravingen, kleine zuilen en grot naar zee.
  4. Poliochni - archeologische bezienswaardigheid, opgravingen.
  5. Aliki meer - Natura 2000 gebied met veel vogels als flamingo’s.
  6. Richa nera - prachtig zandstrand op Limnos.
  7. Romeikos Gialos - mooi zandstrand, vrij smal met de tavernes en hotel tot aan zee.
  8. Moudros - een van de grootste natuurlijke havens van Griekenland.
  9. Therma - kuuroord met natuurlijke geneeskrachtige warmwaterbronnen.
  10. Kontias - de oude windmolens.

Things to see inn LE(i)MNOS

Edited by EBE