Spartans Home

Google Drive

Slashgear says Google is coming out with its own cloud storage service, labled Google Drive. 5GB of free storage and then some paid plan if you want more than 5GB. The article expects the service to go live next Tuesday, the 24th.

Here's the article: http://www.slashgear.com/google-drive-leaked-5gb-cloud-space-for-free-16223134/

- JHunter

Just read about this. Sounds pretty cool, but then again, Google has been known to share information. I bet they will be using the information you upload to do more target marketing, possibly copyright infringement enforcement if you upload a coded file you are not supposed to have, to your cloud. We'll see.

?????

Ok, I know... in general ppl doesn t look Microsoft.. ppl always complains about Microsoft... Windows sucks here and there ( although is the "only" OS really used worldwide )...

So, thre is some "misinformation" about MS, but all of this is just to say: Google is a bit late to the Party ppl !

Microsoft is offering a FREE service since a few years now called SKYDRIVE.

Skydrive is free with any Hotmail or Live account and host 25GB out of the box.

It has full sharing options to allow file collaborations, it work seameless with FREE Office Online, and more.

This is a service from MS existing way before the "Cloud" word became a fancy word.

In all of this something stand up. MS is easy to go down for their imperfections, but they have a problem to succesfully advertise their good stuff :)

LOL, I am glad this helped!

As I said, it seems MS is not really that good to advertise what they do well :)

i have been using Skydraive since at least 2 yrs now and i found it very useful. Especially loding files on the Sharing folders, so you can invite whover you want to come and download what you got.

It also allow you to sens a large email (Jumbo or DropBox kinda) automatically uploading the big content on your Skydrive and sending the invite to the recipient to go and download.

It also allows Cloud Sync but i don t use that and i don t know the spec. i guess it will sync on a limit of 5GB. Check that out better if you like that feature.

MS has updated their skydrive product, instead of 25GB free, you now get 7GB for free....

all info here: http://www.neowin.net/news/hands-on-the-new-skydrive

if you have more than 7gb on there already then you can keep 25gb, also you can opt-in and keep your 25gb as long as you do it before the undefined expiry date. so if you already have an account then i recommend opting in asap.

not sure if this is now a syncing app like dropbox? rather than storage?.

Edited by PANiC

Man!! Thanksso much for the headsup !!

I didn t know about this change and I ve been using it for ages :) I got there, there was a message on the main page, clicked and got my free 25GB back ;) lol..

Well I have to say, not happy they throttle down to 7GB for the newbies, but is still more competitive than Google and others offering 5GB only

I have to dig the new functionality better to see if anything changed.

On the "older" system the "Skydrive folder" that allows you to share your content - translated to iCloud to ppl that speaks Applish only - was 5GB only and 25GB as the whole storage. Now i wonder if they raised that to 7GB as a result of the whole storage new limit :)

On the Dark side, as a Skydrive user I would expect an email from MS to inform me of the new change, I got nothing....

Uaaaa !!!!!! LOOK AT THIS !!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254339/microsoft_skydrive_and_dropbox_prepare_for_cloud_feature_battle.html

Microsoft decreased the amount of free storage it will offer to new users, from 25 GB to 7 GB, but removed the previous 5 GB limit on desktop syncing. Existing users can hang onto their free 25 GB of storage--without limits on syncing--by logging into the Manage Storage page at SkyDrive.com.

ARE YOU SERIOUS !!!!!!???????

Man.. a lot of ppl better start changing their MS opinion !