Spartans Home

Phone upgrade - Samsung Galaxy Note (Free on O2)

NoScream~SPARTA~

GT-N7000 international version. (BLACK)

5 Stars ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Big & Beautiful.

My Mobile phone came upto contract renewal, I have a Samsung galaxy S2, it's a monster phone, fast, functional, 8mpix camera, Android Gingerbread, Active matrix OLED (AMOLED) screen @ 4.2", 720/1080p video recording, the list is long.

I've had it just short of 2 years & it's been great, in fact it still is great, but my provider offers a renewal contract & several new phones for FREE to lock you into 24mts contracts, so I had a look.

I ended up buying (getting for free this) Samsung Galaxy note, Only one word describes it once you forget about being conditioned into what a mobile phone is suppose to do & look like, that word is AWESOME (to coin a common American term).

Truly not for everyone but for me, it is beyond the Galaxy S2, it basically has all the S2 hardware (so preformance is a given) but it also has a 2600mAh battery (S2 has a 1600mAh), a watcom digitising screen of 5.3" (yep you read it right 5.3"), an active pen/stylus, true HD playback 1280 x 800, louder sound, web browsing is mental!.

Before you ask, believe it or not is fits into standard denim jeans front pocket easily, when you hold it for calls it feels good, the Stylus is great, the battery life is nearly double the S2, movies look unbelievable (screen res is true HD 800x1280px)showing photos is amazing & taking them too.

Making Calls, it is covered by your hand while it's up to your ear, so it's not so noticeable (if you have the black & hold it like a man) and the screen on calls will switch off to prevent touch screen accidental disconnects (std android feature on Samsung touch screens). In the pocket it is comfortable because it's large and slim, therefore not digging into your lap.

It draws attention.

Watch some videos....

Easy to use.

@ 2'30" pocket test.

Drawing

Yeah, we have it here too.. is FAR from being "for free"however :)

My provider doesn t have it, so I am not gonna get it. I am still super happy with my US GS2 version which has a 4.5" scrteen and larger battery out of the ocx, holding the masterpiece Samsung CPU perforamnces.

Yeah, as you know res is lower, but it still look gorgeous with the super AMOLED.

Tell me more about the stylus, I was curious about that. I previously had a HTC TouchPro (Win 6.5) and it had a stylus, but was nice and small and 'inside" the device. I guess the NOTE do not carries the stylus, so.. it s a little gadget you need to carry apart? (big chance to loose it??)

Actually I don t mind a big screen on a phone.. I am not a pussy scared to have a big phone if it is nice and gorgeous and the dimension makes sense. I am still belonging to that generation who used the first mobile phone and it was the size of a brick on your face, with the same weight too :)

I still can t figure out how iPhone users are happy with a screen belonging to a 3 years ago generation. 3.5" is so obsolete nowadays, doesn t matter how much pixel density you wanna push on it.

All of the retina display is just a major BS in my opinion, when all of that "awesomeness" is compressedin 3.5"...

As well the "super HD" display on the new iPad.. really??we don t have that res not even on 26" monitors (or maybe on some very professional ones)... what s the sense to have it on a 10" screen?? lol.. and bytheway.. it gets hot.. but Apple is not talking about it :)

However, going back to the NOTE, I think is an outstanding device. I am sure it has also the USB Host that was so beautiful on the S2 version, doesn t it ?

Oh.. and about American weirdy market.. did you know my SGS2 DOES NOT have that USB Host feature? It is there, as hardware, but it is disabled by the Kernel... Go figure...

Yes it has USB host mode, specs are virtually identical to S2.

The big point is the screen (which is an AMOLED with active matrix pen interface) & Battery, the battery has around twice the life (you can use it all day & end up with 50%), the only reason I changed phones was O2 (UK provider) was offering it free in a 24mt contract.

Do any iracing, rFactor ? There is an app for real time data. Works with any Android 2.xx phone/ device.

http://www.sensadigit.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGdVjFOnLg

Another point,

All my apps on the S2 were automatically put on the new phone when I signed into my Google account !!! Holly sh!t I was happy, google sync synced all my contacts & numbers, Firefox sync copied all my bookmarks & links from desktop to the phone with an option for passwords etc...

All I can say is the Galaxy S2 is a awesome phone & the Galaxy note just pushes it all further !!!

One point:

When other people first see you using it (as a phone or mini tablet) they are all amazed.

When they get their phones out, the Note makes them look like a baby & daddy situation.

I put a 32Gb (class 10) micro SD in it (no problems) but anything class 4 and above is good for video rec. or playback.

It really goes beyond the whole smart phone concept, it's more like a smart mini tablet/phone.

I would say, goto a shop, pick it up and pretend to make a call and see how it feels, ask them if you can put it in your pocket & see how it feels, I was surprised how discrete it was compared to my initial thoughts of it being oversized.

The stylus works with games where you need a finger for control like angry birds or Worms.

You can connect a wireless PS3 controller via blutooth & play. (similar to S2)

pinball arcade with the NOTE is amazing.

Every review where the reviewer tried the NOTE for a few weeks seem to come to the same conclusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvpYtNBdxw

Currently the best deal in the UK for the Samsung Galaxy Note

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-NOTE-ZA4FY-FCONO?portal=AWIN&promo=126782

O2 Unlimited £36, 24 months 24 Months

Unlimited* minutes Anytime Any network

Unlimited* texts

1 GB Data

-

FREE phone

contract Price

£36 per month

note.png

Batwing, you may want to rethink your numbers a bit. 1 gig in 30 minutes?

White paper by Cisco on mobile network traffic:

"Average smartphone usage nearly tripled in 2011. The average amount of traffic per smartphone in 2011 was 150 MB per month, up from 55 MB per month in 2010."

"The average smartphone will generate 2.6 GB of traffic per month in 2016, a 17-fold increase over the 2011 average of 150 MB per month. Aggregate smartphone traffic in 2016 will be 50 times greater than it is today, with a CAGR of 119 percent."

1 Percent of Users Consume 5 GB per Month and 3 Percent Consume over 2 GB per Month:

white_paper_c11-520862-13.jpg

Today in 2012 most don't stream on a mobile in the UK.

I have 750Mb data & monitored my last years usage per month & the peak was 200mB !!!!

Inc. some streaming, reason was 90% of use was within a Wifi hotspot which is not part of the 3G network data.

Also with my 16Gb + 32Gb micro SD, I pre load most of the videos & music, better quality & I can have it on hand.

I agree as time moves on they (providers) will want more streaming but I like more storage !!

Most in the UK have 500Mb !! DATA.

Sadly, Verizon in the US does not yet carry the note. I had to settle for the Droid RAZR MAXX when I upgraded the other day, which is currently living up to my smartphone expectations after only ever owning dumbphones.

Today in 2012 most don't stream on a mobile in the UK.

I have 750Mb data & monitored my last years usage per month & the peak was 200mB !!!!

Inc. some streaming, reason was 90% of use was within a Wifi hotspot which is not part of the 3G network data.

Also with my 16Gb + 32Gb micro SD, I pre load most of the videos & music, better quality & I can have it on hand.

I agree as time moves on they (providers) will want more streaming but I like more storage !!

Most in the UK have 500Mb !! DATA.

My current service on 3, has unlimited downloads which when you read the small print is 1Gb per month but I rarely go above 500mb for the same logic as Vii. So when my renewal is due, September I think I'll be looking at the Note, amongst others and dropping down to a 500mb tariff to safe a few quid.

Batwing, you may want to rethink your numbers a bit. 1 gig in 30 minutes?

White paper by Cisco on mobile network traffic:

"Average smartphone usage nearly tripled in 2011. The average amount of traffic per smartphone in 2011 was 150 MB per month, up from 55 MB per month in 2010."

"The average smartphone will generate 2.6 GB of traffic per month in 2016, a 17-fold increase over the 2011 average of 150 MB per month. Aggregate smartphone traffic in 2016 will be 50 times greater than it is today, with a CAGR of 119 percent."

1 Percent of Users Consume 5 GB per Month and 3 Percent Consume over 2 GB per Month:

white_paper_c11-520862-13.jpg

To Kal but as well to all of the other users:

This calculator is offered by Verizon Wireless in the US to figure out what is your monthly usage and chose one of the 3 plans: 2, 5 or 10GB month.

Set the simulator for 4G traffic and have an idea how video streaming and possible Skype traffic can kill your traffic.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/datacalculatorPopup.jsp

My argumentation about 1GB in 30 minutes was quite exagerating, true.. but hey, if you "use" that connection, is not gonna last that much longer :)

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I dumped are iphones for the Galaxy Note we really enjoy it. I'm writing this entire message based on speech recognition for android. It feels a lIttle bulky In your hand. It does fIt In your pants pocket. The screen is amazingly clear and large. The only problem I'm having is geTTing used android versus iphone. I think I have missed about 5 phone calls because I don't know how to answer them, lol.

Kal,

Firstly, I promise you you will love it more each week:

Negatives, It's BIG, a little too big for some pockets.

Positives:

It's BIG, a little too big for many people.

The screen is F**&^%$ing BIG

Videos look stunning.

The stylus (S-Pen) takes a little getting use too, I mean you have to remember NOT to keep pressing the little erase button by accident.

The S-Note function is amazing,

Recommended free GAME is DRAW SOMETHING (loads of fun with the S-PEN)

and between you & your wife try the android version of WORDS WITH FRIENDS

ANDROID APPS to get:

All free: but some have a paid ad. free version.

Best VIDEO PLAYER

MX PLAYER (& get the codec pack too)

Best alarm clock

ALARM CLOCK PLUS

Best Birthday reminder program

EASY BIRTHDAY

Best Calculator

REALCALC

Best Radio player

TUNEIN RADIO

Best music identifying program

SHAZAM

Best Barometer program (yes the Galaxy NOTE has an air pressure sensor)

SYPRESSURE

Best desktop mod program

BEAUTIFUL WIDGETS

Best Live wallpapers

Too many to name all of them:

FRESH LEAVES

ANIPET AQUARIUM

BLUE SKIES

SNOWFALL (amazing for Christmas)VIDEO LIVE WALLPAPER (takes any video as your wallpaper)

There are too many programs (apps) to name (I have around 200+ installed) but you will get use to the phone.

The phone is totally customizable I mean everything, CLOCK/WALLPAPERS/ WIDGETS/ RING TONNES (for each person if you want)/ Auto screen dim when in cradle/ Auto black list, auto no ring at night except for special numbers (like family)/ etc.

My wife and I dumped are iphones for the Galaxy Note we really enjoy it. I'm writing this entire message based on speech recognition for android. It feels a lIttle bulky In your hand. It does fIt In your pants pocket. The screen is amazingly clear and large. The only problem I'm having is geTTing used android versus iphone. I think I have missed about 5 phone calls because I don't know how to answer them, lol.

iphone 4's? if you still have them im willing to buy one off ya

• 4 weeks later...

I still love it Thompson,

Like I said, the only thing is the size (it's big) but it still fits a denim jean pocket.

The battery has never been an issue (once it's conditioned after several charges).

What makes it great is the screen & digitizer pen, along with a 32GB expansion Micro SD card slot, an active Host micro usb port & soon to be released ICS OS for Operator versions (phones that come from the cell companies). If you buy it sim free ICS OS is already available.

I run Wifi & bluetooth all the time & the battery can cope unlike the S2 battery which ran very low with them both on all day.

I bought 3 accessories.

2 stands, one SAMSUNG original (from ebay)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120881717316?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and this cheaper one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150792923524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The difference is that the SAMSUNG stand is detected by the phone as docked and goes into night mode (if set in OS)

The other only charges the phone, the phone does not realize it is docked and it can also charge a second battery in it's rear.

The second accessory was:

2x 2500mAh batteries which I charged but I've never used because the phone lasts... DoH pre conditioned by my S2 experience (which was a great phone but ate the battery)

The third was a case which I don't use, it was a waste of time.

The phone has Gorilla glass & still looks 100%

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320831893477?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The S-Pen is great, I make notes & they are great for reminding me of important things like Why I went to the supermarket etc....

I also got a spare S-Pen & holder kit but have not used it.

GENUINE BRAND NEW SAMSUNG PEN HOLDER KIT FOR GALAXY NOTE ET-S110EBEG PEN HOLDER

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360421976371?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The S-Pen is not a piece of plastic, it has some clever electronics in it, NO BATTERY REQUIRED, it gets it's power from induction.

http://androiiid.com/galaxy-note-s-pen-dissected-and-examined

bf71ddbc6bure_01.jpg-450x281.jpg

last but not least....

The samsung headphones supplied are great & sound is clear & defined with plenty of bass.

Watching movies SD or HD is great, I download 800mb HD files from the net & they play flawlessly on my Class 6 Micro SD (32GB) which holds around 36 movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdTjwDRsCKc&feature=related

Did I say it's 100% DNLA (Digital Living Network Alliance) meaning is can connect wireless to any tv or device via DNLA & stream.

Went into my local 3 store to confirm my upgrade date and check out my target phone options, HTC One X, Note or S3. All can be had for £32 / month with unlimited data.

Based on my typical phone use I just can't see a need for a quad core processor, and although the S3 has a 4.8 screen I was really taken with the extra screen size for the Note. Beyond obvious phone requirements it will ultimately be a media device and based on all of Viii's good vibes too, I reckon the Note is the way forward. Upgrade is in September so I'll keep you advised. :thumbsup_anim: