Spartans Home

Head cam in actual fire fight

dizko

This has got to be a frustrating situation...not knowing where the incoming rounds are coming from....kind of like not knowing where Karl is when he's on the opposite team in pvp...

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/experience-a-firefight-in-afghanistan-through-a-soldiers-headcam-20120317/

first off all hahahha '<karl)

Damn i can't fight without the airco on ..

(witch button is it again to drink in arma... )

Kind of looks like some of viet nam footage. You would think some one in the squad would be looking thru bonocs to see where exactly where the fire is comming from.

The problem with that idea is that if you can see them they can see you. You have to stay still long enough to look. If you stick your head out with binocs long enough to look you WILL have your skull ventilated.

The problem with that idea is that if you can see them they can see you. You have to stay still long enough to look. If you stick your head out with binocs long enough to look you WILL have your skull ventilated.

Agreed. The problem with this situation is that action had not been taken early enough to A. call in reinforcements and initiate supply chain and relief for the fight, B. Then have Team A who is already in place continue to provide suppression, rearm and continue fighting from that position and Team B move to flank the enemy. OR C. instead of the prior and depending on the location and number of civilians, an air strike would be appropriate.

Decisions weren't made till more than half of the ammo had been depleted and this is considered a partial failure of the Officer and the non-com team leader who should be asking the question. More often than not, this happens to be the situation or worse.

Other than that, good representation of what it's like to be pinned into a position with fire coming from multiple positions of elevated cover. The danger is that the enemy suppresses the avenues of egress and then either puts a rocket or two into the center, mortars the location, or advances and sweeps with frags and small arms. Any way you slice it, it could be a bad day.

Simple drones with cameras have been an asset on the battlefield for years.

Yeah but I mean like a hand-held sphere with microphones/cameras that could be stored in a pocket and used to quickly determine the source of incoming rounds. Something that could be given to every soldier, or at least every squad. The drones don't seem to be all that commonplace yet (and by that I mean they aren't given to every squad yet)

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Yeah but I mean like a hand-held sphere with microphones/cameras that could be stored in a pocket and used to quickly determine the source of incoming rounds. Something that could be given to every soldier, or at least every squad. The drones don't seem to be all that commonplace yet (and by that I mean they aren't given to every squad yet)

LOL a Magic 8 ball for battlefield....

LOL a Magic 8 ball for battlefield....

A sphere is about as compact as you could make it (to get an accurate reading in all 360-degrees coverage and compensate for elevation differences). The Army is however now starting to issue systems you can wear on your person that will indicate the direction of incoming fire.

So there you go, they are starting to implement such countermeasures. Or at least they were a year ago. No reason not to, it's a pretty valuable system that can be manufactured for relatively low costs.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

what I cant understand is when looking at this and other similar videos, there is an obvious problem in locating the source/ direction of enemy fire. That is so crazy in 21st century when many devices exist to help soldiers.

GUN-LOC

http://www.microflown-avisa.com/land/gun-loc.html/

5x5x5mm, weighting 5g

Crazy...

It's still the fog of war. Spotting a target even out to 300m with camoflauge is difficult at best, even when you know where they are. In the day time all you have to go on is a little smoke or, if you're lucky, muzzle flash and lateral movement by the enemy. Mix that with the panic of knowing you're getting shot at and it's pretty hard to know what's going on. Usually in a defensive attack you pour suppressive fire down while your officer or NCO (or other team as Medic described) determines the real location of the enemy....but every situation is different.

That being said, the best device currently on the battlefield to determine location of enemy fire is your ears. Even that can f- you up sometimes though, haha. We were on a river bank once where my officers discovered a mortar position that the enemy would roll up on, fire some into the airfield, then leave. While they were talking to the locals, us lower guys were hanging out on the river bank when some yahoo decided to pop a bunch of shots off at us. I was on a pile of rocks, and immediately dove down to one side, using it as cover, but when I looked at my other guys they were pointing the opposite direction, lol. The sounds had bounced off one tiny hut and hit just right where it sounded like it was coming from the opposite direction. My stupid self was fully exposed, and thank God they were just driving by and not in a real attack.

For those of you that bitch about ArmA and not being able to tell friendly from enemy, tell where the fire is coming from stuff like that, I got news for you. ARMA is a decent approxamation of what it is like. I say a approxamation because for many of us (myself included) that is the closest that we ever get. I am not a combat vet. I trained, I prepared, I never shipped.

On a differant subject I have an Idea (scarey I know)... On Memorial Day and Veterans Day we should do an event in ARMA (or what ever game that we are playing) where we set the AI to veteran and all friendly markers are off. Mission Commander is selected from amonst us and we go. Another thing that I have done before that I would like to see again a sort of campfire story telling on TS where the vets can tell their storys if they feel the need/desire and the civs can ask questions. All questions are on the table (we are all adults). It is a lot of fun IMO.

Well AKs are not that accurate at the distance from where they are shooting from, looks to me that they would be lucky to get even close. Ide call in neapaum strike the whole tree line and move on.

What they need there is one of the ww1 trench bonocs that peek over the brick wall.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~