Spartans Home

Neutrino messaging

I found this pretty interesting, perhaps some of you might, as well.

The whole article

- JHunter

Interesting stuff, though practical usage of it doesn't seem all that great. For the submarine communication, for instance, wouldn't you essentially need to know with close to 100% accuracy where the sub is to send a message to it? Unless the beam can cover a very large area, or they can send enough pulses to cover a wider arc, I don't see how it could be very effective or efficient. I mean, submarines use an inertial navigation system and only surface periodically for GPS corrections--they can't use GPS underwater as far as I know. So the submarine would have to surface anyway to either update it's current location and broadcast it to the mainland, or surface to broadcast it's position based on it's INS data. Either way, it has to surface, in which case you might as well save the time and hassle and just use radio communication (or the network of underwater microphones, if close enough to one)

What I really look forward to seeing is the development of communication devices derived from quantum entanglement principles. Imagine instantaneous communication, regardless of the distance or matter that lies between the two points. Not sure if it will ever be feasible, but it's fun to think about. They've had some success with experiments so far, so it's plausible. It'd also give us the perfect comm. device for interstellar travel (even if solely for unmanned spacecraft)