Spartans Home

Sad day a Ft. Bragg, NC

MedicSN6

It's one thing to lose a soldier at war. It is a whole different thing to lose a decorated SF veteran with 6 tours in the sandbox who earned four Bronze Stars to a house fire. Him and his two daughters.

Read the article.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NC_FAILED_FIRE_RESCUE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-03-06-13-03-50

Chief Warrant Officer Edward Cantrell

iy30k.jpg

NUPVU.jpg

Some of you may be familiar with the 'Bixby Letter' featured in the film Saving Private Ryan. Although the circumstances are different, I think the wording is as perfect as it could be.

Executive Mansion,

Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

R.I.P. Warrior and Father

Everyone please check the smoke detectors in your home this weekend in their memory. If you'd like to do more, please get a fire extinguisher for your house. We've got two, one for the kitchen and one near the wood stove already. For me, I'm getting an escape ladder for our second story (storey UK).