Spartans Home

Article on War Games/Film vs Reality

Rooster90

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012/03/01/call-of-apathy-violent-young-men-and-our-place-in-war/

A really great read. I've met many men in my service exactly like him and that pretty much sums up a good chunk of our COMBAT troops. Why we rarely see this side of our troops represented is beyond me. It's doing them a disservice.

Now, there are holes in his story. Some of what he says sounds questionable. But all of that is beside the point. I've never met a combat soldier that ever felt they were doing anything noble or heroic. Some joined for the money (like myself, 20k signing bonus for a combat MOS), and others joined to kill. And others joined simply because they had nothing else going for them. It's really as simple as that. That's not to say that EVERY combat soldier is a maniacal, murdering sociopath as he seems to imply. But there's certainly no glory in what a combat soldier is trained to do. There's no good guys or bad guys. Just us and them, kill or be killed. Wars aren't won by do-gooders, they're won by cold-hearted killers who enjoy what they do. Now, those same people can go home and be your every day worker, start a family, and never speak of what they did in their service again. A smaller contingent will continue to do what they do best, whether in the military or as a contractor. The author paints with a broad brush and applies his own mindset to all combat troops. But he's really not that far off. To some degree, every combat soldier has to enter that sort of mindset and take pleasure in and laugh off the horrors he has to see or commit. The hard part for our vets is coming home and leaving that mindset behind.

I'm curious to see what you guys think of the story, particularly those who have also served.

Edited by Rooster90

I believe his intent with the story is genuine. However, on the whole, I do not share the same view point as the author. A few of the statements he makes I very strongly disagree with.

I don't care to go through and break down the entire article, but I will say that what ever attitude or mindset you have is entirely up to you. As I've always said... the only thing that defines "me" is myself. I am not defined by my family, my job, my rank, or any "traumatic" event. My personal belief is if you let any of those, or anything similar, become an excuse for "the way you are"... you are simply a coward with a weak mind.

- JHunter

I too believe that his story may be true but I have the echo Jhunter in that I do not share his point of view. Every soldiers experiance is differant and I think the author paints to small a box for us (vets) to fit in.

I believe his intent with the story is genuine. However, on the whole, I do not share the same view point as the author. A few of the statements he makes I very strongly disagree with.

I don't care to go through and break down the entire article, but I will say that what ever attitude or mindset you have is entirely up to you. As I've always said... the only thing that defines "me" is myself. I am not defined by my family, my job, my rank, or any "traumatic" event. My personal belief is if you let any of those, or anything similar, become an excuse for "the way you are"... you are simply a coward with a weak mind.

- JHunter

I agree totally with this, and it's said in a much more diplomatic way than I can.

As for Rooster, you know of at least one person who joined the military for a noble cause: me. I joined to serve my country because I thought it was the right thing to do, and I know many others who have done the same. Have I doubted my service? Sure, many times, but I always had someone to tell me what I was doing was worthwhile. Maybe it's the people I choose to surround myself with.