Spartans Home

Shit just got real

Gonzo

Very cool...

However I'm seeing many plugin devs freaking out that a merger like this will limit their options. I've also seen some now state they are leaving Bukkit and moving to Spout, etc. Will need to see what happens.

I think the merger will bering some versatility to MC but also, and more importantly, stability. Even though Spout is a very nice server platform, Bukkit has won the vast majority in use. If the bukkit team integrates bukkkit into the server edition of MC, we should see a huge reduction in downtime as MC and bukkit will be one. The downside is that it means more bugs in the MC core, probably more time between updates and the name Bukkit, will probably disappear all together. The only way I can see SPOUT working is if Mojang (including the Bukkit guys) releases a vanilla server version along with a 'bukkit included' version.

If not, the Spout devs and any other server base devs, will have to over write or remove the bukkit elements in order for their code to work properly without major conflicts. This means more work for server mods devs but less work for mod devs because everything will be unified under the bukkit base.

It's really a coin toss what will happen, but I am sure we will see something by 1.2 at the earliest but more than likely, 1.3.

EDIT:

The other and huge thing that this merger provides is the much called for integrated mod selection. Building bukkit into the core of MC will allow the devs to integrate mods into the GUI and framework of the program. This also provides easier installation of new Mojang content and DLC but also fan made content.

Instead of updating the core of MC every time something new is added, they can simply release a free or paid for DLC pack that is the user's choice to install.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~