Spartans Home

My Favourite Sci Fi movies

Zeno~SPARTA~

As some of you may know I love movies, especially science fiction (not so much the horror sci fi though, except for Alien). For my own amusement I thought I would compile a list of my all time favourites. There are many, many films not on the list but that I would watch repeatedly (all star trek, except for the last Frontier), all Star wars and terminators, not to mention films like Galaxy Quest, What planet are you from and more recently Paul. The films I have listed were all great, but some were well acted, some moved the genre forward, some had fantastic effects. Since I compiled the list I thought I would share it with you. I havent ranked them, because I find it difficult to do so, they are just in date order.

The day the earth stood still (1951)

War of the Worlds (1953)

This Island earth (1955)

Forbiden Planet (1956)

2001 a Space Odyssey (1968)

Close encounters of the third kind (1977)

Star Wars (1977)

Alien (1979)

Star Trek the Wrath of Kahn (1980)

Star Wars the empire strikes back (1981)

Blade Runner (1982)

Star Wars Return of the Jedi (1983)

Predator (1986)

Aliens (1986)

The Abyss (directors cut) (1989)

Star Trek the undiscovered country (1991)

Terminator 2 (1991)

Gattaca (1997)

Independence Day (1995)

Matrix (1999)

WALL-E (2008)

Star Trek XI (2009)

The first one missing that I would add is

Fifth Element (1997)

I'm not big on remakes but I did enjoy War of the Worlds (2005) with Tom cruise

good list mate

Bolded the ones I've seen.

The day the earth stood still (1951)

War of the Worlds (1953)

This Island earth (1955)

Forbiden Planet (1956)

2001 a Space Odyssey (1968) (Kind of, didn't see the full thing)

Close encounters of the third kind (1977) (Saw it once, don't remember much of it)

Star Wars (1977)

Alien (1979)

Star Trek the Wrath of Kahn (1980)

Star Wars the empire strikes back (1981)

Blade Runner (1982) (Didn't really like it)

Star Wars Return of the Jedi (1983)

Predator (1986) (Awesome)

Aliens (1986)

The Abyss (directors cut) (1989)

Star Trek the undiscovered country (1991)

Terminator 2 (1991)

Gattaca (1997)

Independence Day (1995)

Matrix (1999)

WALL-E (2008)

Star Trek XI (2009)

Can't think of any particular Scifi movies I like that haven't been listed.

Edit: Fifth Element! There's a good one. Thanks Custard.

Even more!

Jurassic Park (1993) -- One of my favorite movies of all time.

District 9 (2009)

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

I enjoyed all of these suggestions, less so District 9.

2001 is a slow film to watch today, but 11 years before star wars it was a revelation, I watched it a couple of months ago. War of the worlds was OK but one silly scene ruined it for me (the Humvees flying over the hill on fire). Although I dont think of Jurassic park as Sci Fi its special effects helped move the whole industry forward.

For Blade Runner I should have specified the directors cut, which has less narration. Some people believe it to be THE best Sci Fi film, I am not one of them, but I really enjoyed it.

I am surpised you havent seen Aliens MH6, and impressed that you at least tried to watch 2001.

I have probably seen Predator more than any other film

I enjoyed all of these suggestions, less so District 9.

2001 is a slow film to watch today, but 11 years before star wars it was a revelation, I watched it a couple of months ago. War of the worlds was OK but one silly scene ruined it for me (the Humvees flying over the hill on fire). Although I dont think of Jurassic park as Sci Fi its special effects helped move the whole industry forward.

For Blade Runner I should have specified the directors cut, which has less narration. Some people believe it to be THE best Sci Fi film, I am not one of them, but I really enjoyed it.

I am surpised you havent seen Aliens MH6, and impressed that you at least tried to watch 2001.

I have probably seen Predator more than any other film

Yeah I could never get into the Alien movies, not sure why. Slow pacing maybe? Or perhaps the fact that I don't like Mrs. Weaver that much. I did enjoy the Alien Vs. Predator spin-offs (the games more so than the movies, which had pretty terrible acting), and the aliens are pretty cool creatures.

I would have finished watching all of 2001, but I was watching it on Youtube and only got like 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through before I couldn't find any more of the movie uploaded. One of these days I'll need to actually rent it.

Starship Troopers - Incredibly corny, not particularly well acted but I can watch it again and again without getting bored.

Same with Serenity.

Yeah I liked both of those as well.

The real travesty though was that I saw Serenity before I knew anything about Firefly, and wasn't that impressed with it. Firefly changed my opinion though (since then I actually knew something about the characters)

Aliens is rated 8.5 on IMDB (so is Alien), I dont remember seeing a fim rated so highly. I think I know the issue you might have with Sigourney Weaver, indeed there is a mention of it in the special edition of the dvd. The colonial marines have some cool gear especially the Pulse rifle, the Smart Gun and in the diretors cut, the sentry gun. Although the directors cut is longer it will make more sense, the cinematic release was great but adding back some of the back story elements helps the film. If you can move beyond your issues with Ms Weaver you are in for a Sci Fi treat.

Speaking of cutting, the Abyss story line was ruined by the cuts made to the cinematic release, the directors cut released on dvd makes more sense, especially the ending.

Funny thing about Serenity, If you watch it without the benefit of following the TV show you cannot sympathise with a bunch of the characters, if you watch the TV show and not serenity a lot goes unanswered. To my mind Serenity is the feature length conclusion of Firefly. Together they are certainly a quality part of the genre, and it is true that a lot of people rate it highly (more than 1500 imdb reviews with an average rating of 7.5).

My additions:

Planet of the Apes: The original, natch.

Primer: It will bend your mind into a pretzel until you've viewed it at least twice.

Inception: My favorite film of the past 10 years.

The Andromeda Strain: Crichton's best story and certainly the best film based upon his works.

Altered States: Because Blair Brown is hot. Oh, the movie is good, too.

Moon: Not recommended if you are claustrophobic.

Brazil: Terry Gilliam's masterwork.

THX-1138: George Lucas couldn't leave this one alone, either, but the enhanced edition is actually quite good.

Equilibrium: Not a great film, but decent, and Christian Bale's action scenes make it worth watching.

Children of Men: My second-favorite sci-fi film of the past decade.

A Clockwork Orange: Shows the promise Malcom McDowell had before, well, everything he's done since.

The Exam: Definitely not for everyone, more of an ensemble character study in a somewhat sci-fi setting.

A Boy and His Dog: A great adaptation of Ellison's work.

RoboCop: Sci-fi, action, and a great sense of humor.

The Handmaid's Tale: Easily the most frightening movie on this list.

@ Zeno: Get 2001 on Blu-Ray, the transfer is absolutely pristine. It looks and sounds better than some of the recent releases.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

The Andromeda Strain: Crichton's best story and certainly the best film based upon his works.

I must humbly disagree. Having read almost all of Crichton's books, nothing has surpassed Jurassic Park. Though Andromeda Strain was good, as was Prey and Timeline and Eaters of the Dead and..well you get the idea. R.I.P. Crichton, him and Card were two of my favorite authors.

Speaking of which, Sphere was a pretty cool movie as well.

A Clockwork Orange was a tad too demented for my tastes--and it was quite strange seeing McDowell as a young man. Children of Men was awesome though. I'll need to watch that again.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

hey

Close encounters of the third kind , have u seen this movie lately ..

(some things)

Fire in the sky (be sure to watch this one ..)

Fire_in_the_sky_poster.jpg

(they did not stick to the real story , but changed some aspects for the movie ..)

greetz

Edited by EBE

Also, while I haven't yet really seen any Alien films, I think I will see Prometheus (supposedly a somewhat prequel to Alien)

says it all...

Director:

Ridley Scott

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1846059289/

and now

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/02/this-new-prometheus-teaser-shows-ridley-scott-hasnt-lost-his-sci-fi-class/

Be sure to check out "The Man from Earth" a simple lowbudget sci fi with out sci...lol i dont know but i just loved this simple movie....maybe cause it has someone i love to see on the screen; Tony Todd.

Damn just thinking of this movie draws me into the story again ...wishing the movie would take at least 5 hours.....oh well.

Edited by EL_n00biachi