Spartans Home

Yes, they really are D-bags.

Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Some backstory for those nor familiar with this genre:

MOBA, short for Multi-player Online Battle Area, is a RTS sub-genre that has been criticized for communities that consist primarily of douchebags, particularly when it comes to how unwelcoming they are to new players. Me, for example.

League of Legends (LoL) is perhaps the most popular of these games, and after watching a few matches at a recent LAN, I decided to give it a go. I played through the tutorials and a couple of bot matches before trying a game with real people.

As in any team game, communications are important, but after looking through the keybindings, I did not see any key(s) listed for Chat functions. So, while waiting in the game lobby, I simply asked the other players how to use in-game chat. Not only did I get a barrage of derogatory comments about being a noob, I actually got banned from the game. LoL has a system where players can report other players for things such as aforementioned derogatory comments, quitting games, etc. So, EVERY other player in the lobby (that would be nine people total) reported me for "idling", which is odd because the game had not even started. I was kicked from the lobby and then got the notice that my account had been suspended for two weeks, followed by an email stating that I could contact the game's support team if I had any questions.

No need for that, though. As far as I am concerned, being banned from the LoL community is a badge of honor; it means I'm not a complete douchebag.

?? really ?? I mean.. there are games you BUY, for a FULL price and some Admin has the power to SUSPEND your account ??? based on WHAT ??

I don t know.. maybe I ve been leaving in a cave (Batcave..).. but is out of my mind to understand stuff like this..

D-bags are probably there all over the place, I don t know if that game specifically has a higher concentration of those. But that is my minor concern. To me the "online experience" is not only related to the game I play but the ppl i play with.

The concept you can be reported for "nothing" and be banned after you gave your money for the game, without even be called and discussed the issue, that shocks me the most.

I played through the tutorials and a couple of bot matches before trying a game with real people.

Therein lies your problem. Don't play with real people, they're douchebags. In LoL, one weak link can destroy any chance you have of winning, which is why people are such pricks to new players. That, and they're just assholes, both in-game and in real life.

So yes, the majority of the people that play LoL are asshats. Had you played with me and EMT in an AI battle you would have been fine. Save the human matches for much much later when you are playing with mostly friends who won't chew you out for not being awesome.

P.S. - Batwing, LoL is a free game. And leaving in the middle of a match is heavily frowned upon, hence the suspension (they reported him for being idle, also a no-no, even though he technically wasn't)

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Don't mean to flame or anything, but what sort of players play bot games for anything other than trying new heroes out? I'm not great at Mobas either but you have no hope of ever getting better if all you guys do is play bot games. That's not even remotely challenging. Just gotta have a thick skin and be willing to admit that you suck at the game for the first 3-6 months of solid playing. And if you roll with 3-5 of your friends it's a lot more fun. Just gotta ignore the flaming and just play and have fun.

I'm more of a Dota 2 guy myself, but I started with LoL. You gotta realize that a game with more players than WoW had at it's peak also means a ton more kids and douchebags are gonna be playing too. Just tough it out and it'll become one of the most satisfying competitive gaming experiences out there.

Edited by Rooster90

Don't mean to flame or anything [...]

If you have to preface your post with this kind of statement, it probably doesn't need posted.

[...] you have no hope of ever getting better if all you guys do is play bot games. That's not even remotely challenging. [...]

Not everyone's goal is to be the "top player" in the game. Some of us just want play a leisurely game with friends and enjoy it... not heckled by "pros" and pre-teens.

You're entitled to play the game in the manner that suits you. You are not entitled to belittle or insult the manner in which other players, especially players in the Spartan Community, choose to play the game. I'm not saying this to any particular person... but if the shoe fits, wear it.

- JHunter

I've just never heard of anybody playing bot games for fun, especially not in LoL. An RTS I can understand, I do that all the time. But the bots in LoL are so.... idk. Not smart/challenging?

To each his own, as always. But man, get out there and stomp some people! lol.