Spartans Home

Producing Training Videos

KalXen~SPARTA~

I want to begin pulling together some training videos of internal processes for work. These will mainly be going through PowerPoints or some screen capturing/sharing of using some internal web apps. I plan the videos to be short.. 2-3 minutes at most otherwise people fall asleep. I also want the videos to be small in file size.

Has anyone else done this, and what are the best options for this? Fraps? Camtasia?

Fatal_Papercut - Given your experience, I'd like your 2 cents.

I want to begin pulling together some training videos of internal processes for work...Has anyone else done this, and what are the best options for this? Fraps? Camtasia?

Fatal_Papercut - Given your experience, I'd like your 2 cents.

Fraps is GREAT for games, but BAD for what you need. Camtasia is good though, and, last time I checked, there was a free version of it out there. The software I have personally been using for what you're doing is HyperCam 2, which is completely free. It looks and works a lot like Camtasia, and the quality settings are very flexible, allowing you to get small files with good quality.

Please be aware that I did run into an issue where HyperCam would NOT would not record audio when I was only using my USB headset. When I used my on-board audio (which only required a driver installation), it worked just dandy. HyperCam's UI is not the best available, but it's not hard to figure out if you just spend time poking about all of the options.

** EDIT ** Camtasia has a few extra features that HyperCam does not, such as the ability to highlight the mouse cursor. The UI for Camtasia is probably a bit friendlier. Both do offer mouse-tracking, however--the ability to keep the mouse centered on screen.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

I ve been using Camstasia 7 and i found it excellent.

You can save your job in many sharable formats. The editing engine I found it very powerful and simple enough to use.

I made short training videos for job as well and they were a decent final job. The "decency" is due to my limits to use the software, not because the software has ny issue :)