Spartans Home

IL2 Config File

Raven_2012

Some of you may know this and some of you may not, but in the config file for IL2 there are some things a user can change to get slightly better graphics from game. There are two locations of the conf.ini file, there is one in the main IL2 directory and another in (on my Windows 7 PC) your username/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/ProgramFiles(x86)/Ubisoft/IL-2 Sturmovik1946, this is the one that needs to be edited.

In this cong.ini resolution can be changed, if you do that make sure SaveAspect=0

This game only can run right when using Opengl32.dll, so when you edit stuff you will go to bottom and edit below [Rend_OpenGL]

This is what mine looks like edited:

[Render_OpenGL]

TexQual=3

TexMipFilter=2

TexCompress=0

TexFlags.UseDither=1

TexFlags.UseAlpha=0

TexFlags.UseIndex=0

TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1

TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0

TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1

TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1

TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0

TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1

TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1

TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1

TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0

TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1

TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1

TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1

TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2

Specular=2

SpecularLight=2

DiffuseLight=2

DynamicalLights=1

MeshDetail=2

VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2

Forest=3

LandShading=3

LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2

TexLarge=1

TexLandQual=3

TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=3

Water=2

Effects=1

ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Edit these entries:

HardwareShaders=1

Forest=3 (This adds 3D trees around landscape, its different that the large patches of trees. These are single patches of trees. This makes the landscape look more sparse and real.)

Water=2 (This is better than older water and runs better than =3. Some peoples PC maybe able to use =3 water. I use =2 it looks good and there isn't much drop in FPS.)

Other ones can be adjusted but they don't do anything noticeable. I think I tried to adjust LandGeom=3, I think adds more geometry to landscape and takes some of the flatness out. I didn't notice anything when I turned it =3, maybe a noticeable drop in FPS.

Anyways those are the main 3 that I change and makes the game look prettier. Hope you guys try it out and see you soon in the air!

I'm guessing you don't have a Steam version of IL-2. I do not have a conf.ini in that location you specified, only in my Steam/steamapps/common/IL 2 Sturmovik 1946 folder.

Anyway, definitely makes a difference. Thanks for the info.

- JHunter

No, I have a hard copy of the game. If the conf.ini in the steam folder changes it, then you should be good. I guess a way to test to see if it works is change the resolution. I know with hard copies of game there will be two conf.ini one hidden in the doc and other in game folder. The one in game folder won't work if you change something.

Yeah it makes a different.