Spartans Home

Good Luck Medic!

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been doing last minute preps, packing, and spending time with my wife and my parents at their house for dinner. The spaghetti was exceptionally good.

There will be eight travelers in total on this expedition into Central Haiti. Myself and Eric, an ER Physician, as well as six members of a local church are the crew. Eric and I will be running the medical clinic and the rest will be helping out where needed. The other six do have there work cut out for them though. The orphanage needs infrastructure work done including electrical, plumbing, and structural and the vehicles need some TLC as well. Much of the luggage and goods we are bringing are supplies to aid in the basic repairs a populated orphanage needs on a regular basis, but doesn't have access to. Much of the medical care we will be providing is merely temporary relief of endemic and chronic medical issues resulting in a lack of sanitary conditions and medical facilities.

I have learned much about Haiti in preparing for this trip. The history of Haiti, both culturally and politically, is tragic at best. I encourage you all to learn more about Haiti and in doing so, learn from one of humanity's great mistakes, lest we repeat it.

Because there is no running water and the only form of electricity comes in the form of a generator run only at certain times of the day, I will find myself, yet again, challenged without the luxuries of the First World. It's a challenge I both welcome and look forward to. I purchased two soccer (futbol) balls and added a spare of my own to the collection. I hope to play one of my favorite games after the day's work is done. I have been told the children have a choir of sorts. Having been in choirs and participated in a couple musicals during my all too recent childhood, I can appreciate the time and effort put towards this talent. The only forms of personal entertainment I am bringing are, a book entitled One Second After by William Forstchen, a SuDoKu puzzle book, and a deck of cards. These are mainly for the time spent flying or riding in a bus.

At the moment, I don't know exactly where in LeJene, Haiti I will be, but this is the general area we will be working in. The bus trip from the airport in Port Au prince will be long and tiring. The dirt roads are ripe with potholes and erosion b rainfall. Rarely are the repaired and if it is raining, they may wash away completely. Travel in Haiti may be the worst part of the trip, but I will resist letting it become the most memorable.

Eric has started a blog which he plans to update, hopefully, daily. At some point, I am sure you will see my tired and happy fat-ass grinning away with some pretty special kids and their caretakers. You'll find the blog at: http://ericfromva.blogspot.com/

Until I return, Medic out.

Landed in Miami with no problems at around 2 pm. Waited an hour for the shuttle to the hotel. Just ate a [riveted] steak at an Argentinan Steakhouse. Now for the cab ride home and to get some sleep. 3 am will be here before I know it.

EDIT: Damn autocorrect. I meant 'really good.'

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

• 2 weeks later...

I'M BACK!

Plane touched down at Dulles Airport around midnight last night. I got home at around 0215-0230. I first shared some souvenirs with my wife and then took a 20 minute shower to wash a week's worth of funk, dirt and Hatian grime from me. What an experience. Not only did our team see just over 500 Haitian men, women, and children in about two and a half days, I set up and wired some solar panels and fixed an old truck that wouldn't run. Medical, off-grid electrical, and auto mechanics. A well rounded trip. Above all that I taught Duck, Duck, Goose to the children and they loved it. So much laughter as they chased each other around the circle.

I have pictures and I am transferring them as I type this. I hope to have an album up soon. All said and done, it was an amazing trip with some awesome people who I now call my friends, but I am very glad to be home.

More to come.