Spartans Home

PC issue

rtr~SPARTA~

Hi,

I am running an ATI 4890 in a prebuilt system from overclockers UK. The system is about 2 1/2 years old and has performed flawlessly until recently when i have been plagued with intermittent freezes. Whenever I play a game (L4D2 DOW 2 etc) the system locks up with a blank screen/ solid coloured/ lined screen when the game starts (by this I mean the actual game graphics, l4D2 won't lockup until the actual game, DOW 2 locks on the menu screen because game style graphics in the background there, splinter cell conviction is the same as is space marine) The monitor stops receiving input after a short time and a then the sound goes and you get buzzing, it requires a complete power reset and reboot.

What I have done to solve this this.

Software fixes

Checked the minidump. with minidump viewer no crashes appear no minidump has been created.

Reinstalled graphics drivers using drive sweeper and safe mode and various driver versions numerous times.

Total fresh reinstall of Win 7.

Hardware

switched the card to a new pcie slot after removing the card completely overnight ( This seemed to fix the issue and I left the system running for several hours in game, however after switching off for several hours problem reoccurred).

Heat didn't seem to be an issue but I manually turned the fan up to 100% and turned down the gpu and memory speeds using catalyst manager overdrive did this a few times.

Removed the card overnight and then reinstalled again seemed to fix the issue briefly but then it reocurred.

Cleaned dust from all fans

Checked cables.

Installed an old x1600 card which worked fine. after running this and then reinstalling the old card again worked briefly and the problem reocurred.

SO any help?

Is this a dying graphics card? (I think this is most likely)

Power issue?

Mobo issue?

thanks in advance

The first paragraph says GRAPHICS card, 2.5 years old? dump it, buy a new one or ebay...

Set your budget & get hunting.

Use your X1600 for now.

Budget recommendation

http://www.cclonline.com/product/58660/90-C1CQV0-L0UAY0YZ/Graphics-Cards/Asus-GeForce-GTX-560-DC-1024MB/VGA0249/

Asus GeForce GTX 560 DC power connection is 2x 6 pin.

overlaps 2 slots

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX560_DC2DI1GD5/

£155

Make sure you have PCI 2.0

just checked, I think you do

HD 4890

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4890/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4890-specifications.aspx

yes I have 2 pcie 2 x16 slots. And 2 6 pin and also 2 4 pin(?) connectors so I'm pretty sure the system could handle any modern card. The power supply would be the limiting factor at 650 watts

I was unwillingly to invest in a new card unless needed as it performed great for all the games I play and also if I buy a new card and it turns out to be another issue. 155 quid is about 40 quid less than my total fortnightly income:-(.

I have been looking at budget cards and can replace like for like for about 70 to 80 quid. Ati 5770 or another 4890 or possible an 5830 (I think) there are various trade offs in each

I have just this minute launched DOW 2 and currently the card appears to be working, but I've been here before:-) I bet if I reboot the issue will be back.

It's the intermittent nature of the fault which I have never experienced before. previously bad cards have just failed and were obviously the problem.

if this is a power issue (test)

Unplug some sh*t.. (dvd/ hd two / to many fans / pci stuff /

ATI 4890 System in IDLE = 223 Watt

System with GPU in FULL Stress = 370 Watt

(requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply)

(500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

try this ; has some!! accuracy !

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

(rollback driver)

Edited by EBE

Actually i just reread your first post.

Usually if its a power issue the card will force the system to shut down.

Have you checked other things like sound card drivers?

Try checking your ram with memtest or Intel Burn Test. Intel Burn test lets you test the ram/gpu/cpu separately.

In the end if your replace the GPU, a 6770 would probably be your best long term option, its not much faster then the 5770 but its the newest architecture so it will run cooler then the 5770's, and should be more power efficient.

I do not think is Power related, reason why:

Power failure is a PSU failing. Issues become to be random and they happen not necessarely when system is under stress, PSU is just unstable and crashes are happening at any time with several different blu screens.

This seems a videocard failure, possible Video RAM failing. Besides the fact it crashes on your games, you may get one Benchmark such as 3dmark 06 and run it, most probably your card will fail.

New videocard is the best solution I think.

Hi

Thanks to all that replied.

I was able to get an old 8600 GT from another old pc I'm using that for now. Got the 4890 to work again briefly and then started getting the same again and also bsod and a video driver (atikmag.sys ???) failure. I have given up on the 4890 for now, I'm assuming a video card failure and will replace.

Batwing - when I did a furmark test it did the same as games so I think more likely a videocard issue than a power supply issue.

again thanks to everyone.