Spartans Home

IL2 a blast from the past

Zeno~SPARTA~

We played tonight and it was a blast.

We practiced taking off and landing on a big concrete runway, very entertaining

We flew the standard 633 squadron mission 3 times

The we flew it at night, in stormy turbulent conditions also very entertaining

Then we did torpedo runs on the Tirpitz, twice. Flying into a wall of flak is very exciting.

Durka-Durka & Viiiper (oldschool), hope you are playing this (again) too. Also still missing StevenADunn, adder360, Punisher & custard (believe Maj3stic used to join coops back in 2006 or so as well, right?).

Not sure if still around: Mutilator (although difficult with time difference down under), Zathruss, haven't spoken to you in ages.

Any idea why the game seems not recognizing my joy buttons on set up?

Joy works and Axis are OK, in fact buttons are working too, 1 to fire, 2 to fire weap 2 etc. as from config.

What i seem not be able to to is remap button. When i click on the box for an action and click the button i want to bind, it just doesn t do it.

Any suggestion? Maybe there is a INI file i can manually config ?

Windows fully recognize the Joy Logitech extreme 3d

Good job on the carrier take off and landings, when I used to play this I could barely take off 1 in 5 times. Great fun.

Next I need to improve my dogfighting skills, which are poor.

We have been practicing take off and landings on the big runway, we should probably switch to grass now, harder to see and a lot narrower.

RE: 4.09m

If you patched to 4.10.1m + UP3.0, install this folder into your jsgmemods and run it to get back to stock 4.09m

http://forum.simjunkies.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=1073;t=1326781225

Alternatively you can use 4.09m with UP2.01 if you use a separate install - just copy and paste your base game to another folder

http://arena.war-birds.com:81/download/UltraPack2.01/

Thanks for your help bud, I am downloading that now as well. I already have UP3.0 RC4 and one of the biggest changes you notice off the bat is the sound. I powered up in a Lancaster and the four merlins made a recognizable sound not the digital approximation of the merlin in the stock game. Plus there is a staggering amount of planes. We will stick with the stock 409m version of the game for general play, but every now and again, Dai and I will play the UP3.0, version anyone who has the inclination to is welcome to join in, but we offer no technical support.

I have been practicing dogfighting in the quick mission builder by choosing an enemy plane and taking away its ammo and setting the ai to rookie. when I can shoot down a plane with less than 5 minutes worth of bullets I will increase the AI abilility then add their ammo back.

We did a bunch of carrier missions yesterday and even had to limit the bombs dropped because some selfish git in the lead plane took out the enemy carrier in one pass, we now use smaller bombs and drop only one bomb per pass, this way we all got 3 or 4 passes on the target.

With regard to take offs, do not be upset if you crash on take off, we will gladly restart many times, after all the players have completed their take off. Our games are aimed at noobs, experts are welcome, but everyone takes off. Anyway the person who usually has a lapse of concentration is me.

Aircraft carrier - Take off

chocks away, chocks in again

engine start

unfold wings

deploy flaps

lock tail wheel

full power

chocks away

manage rudder to reduce unwanted serpentine take off

manage power/rudder as plane leaves the deck so as not to roll into the sea

gear up

undeploy flaps

as you can imagine, being quite forgetful I manage to miss a step or 2 on some take offs resulting in ditching into the sea and suffering the humiliation of being run over by my own ship.

Here is some keyboard commands that are not set in game already and you have to bind them. There are blank, so there is no worry of taking up another key. I find the ones I came up with work pretty good.

Nav Lights - N

Landing Lights - L

Wings Fold - O

Arrester Hook - H

Chocks - J

Canopy - K

Lock Tail Wheel - D

Raise Gear Manually - Q

Lower Gear Manually - E

Air Brake - \

These ones are more for bombers, but they still come in handy:

Open Close Bomb Bay Doors - Caps lock

Toggle Level Auto Pilot - Shift + A

Level Stabilizer - Space

Wing fold, drop bombs, bail out etc. I would highly recommend be at least an ALT + operation. Not that I have ever accidentally folded my wings in flight or dropped bombs and killed my wingman on the deck. :poster_oops:

One tip for low speed maneuvers and stalls - Use the rudder, not the ailerons. If your wing drops the rudder, same if you feel (hear) the plane start to complain in a hard turn a little dab of rudder and easing on the stick can save you from a stall. Just like in a car a small correction early makes all the difference.

Use trim, at least the elevator for steady climbs and level flight. Remember to slowly ease on the stick as you change the trim and keep an eye on the climb gauge. Watch your slip indicator and 'step on the ball' to keep it centered.

SJ server commands -

<help list of allowed commands

<vote vote for mapchange

<gunstat gunnery accuracy statistic, machineguns, guns, rockets and bombs

<live number of lives which you spent thru the mission, number of KIA of yourself

<targets maintargets on map by mapsquare coordinates;

<time timeout till mission end;

<recon air square with most airactivity

<recon grd square with most groundactivity;

<planes planeset limit (if limits is on server);

<warn show penalty points

<teams shows numbers of players in teams

Edited by AlarmedBread

Great mission last night guys, very cool to see us make it back safely to the carrier. :thumbsup_anim:

Here are some great tutorial videos, worth the watch as he explains some complex maneuvers very simply. Especially useful are the reticle, skip bombing, ship attack and AA videos.

Edited by AlarmedBread

What version of IL2 do I need to play with you guys. I am going to install it and update it to 4.101 and install Ultra Pack 3.0. I will make a separate install for what ever version you guys are using. Also are you guys using any version of Ultra Pack? I have version 2 saved on my hard drive, for version IL2 4.09m.

• 3 weeks later...