Spartans Home

Logitech Revue + Google TV - First Impressions

So I helped my dad-in-law to install his Xmas gift: a very nice Logitech Revue box

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue

I was very curious about this little toy because having a HTPC quite bigger than that (and quite more expensive) I was wondering if this Companion Box is the ultimate solution.

Well, there are multiple answers and they are balancing toward YES and NO. I am going to compare:

1 - HTPC based on Win 7 Media Center, Athlon dual core, 2GB RAM and 1TB Storage, Bluray player. HD 1080p performances. Price around $330.

2 - Logitech Revue + Google TV - Android 3.1. It has full browsing and Flash support with Chrome, access to Market (tons of Apps), network capabilities, no internal storage, full integration with any sort of TV service, no recording capabilities. HD 1080p performances. Price $99.

To make a long story short, at the question the Revue is a good HTPC there is definetely a solid YES and NO. Buttom line a PC is always a PC. Full flrxibility, able to do everything. The Revuew is a Companion Box but has some very solid points.

I think at the end all comes down to your tech level. If you are a Geek and are not scared by the fact a PC is NOT FRIENDLY sometimes and most importantly you have a $330 budget, probably you would go straight to the HTPC, no brainer.

However, if you are a Geek but can t say the same for the rest of your family, Gramma has no familiarity with a full keyboard neither any intention to learn, other ppl around has familiarity with Android and all of you want is sorta mixing a TV experience with a Intenet experience AND a Ton of free Video content straight to your Big Screen, then the Revue at $99 is the best solution out there.

Unfortunately the Logitech Revue got a recent firmware update to Android 3.1 (one week ago, before we bought our unit) and that firmware screwed many devices, making the activation inmpossible to achieve. It s a shame something like this may happen, ruining a great experience otherwise.

We had to return the first unit to BestBuy, got a replacement and had the same issue, slightly different. main problem is during activation it has to connect to a "Logitech Server" and that connection permanently fails. No way to activate. Fortunately the second box seemd a bit inconsistent with the error so after 5 hours of tries finally completed the activation process and now is working like a charm. I am confident they will come out with a patch or something to solve the issue for good.

When the device works, is just a pleasure to use. It interact directly with the Set up Box you may have (whatever service) and it lives together with your previous set up. This means Gramma does not have to learn how to use Revue because she will continue to use her standard remote to watch her TV (this by itself is the best solution ever, 100 Stars in my evaluation). On the other end you Geek have the "Keyboard of Power" and you will be able to unleash the extra horse powers for your media entertainement.

Recently a friend of mine got a Roku box and I was able to take a look at that unit. Honestly there is no comparison between the 2 products as versatility. However they have the same $99 tag price. I am sorry my friend seems like not interested to evaluate the Logitech Revue, possibly he didn t understand how important is having a full Browser + Flash to access tons of FREE content.

If you are thinking for a gift or a quite inexpensive solution for an enhanced media experience on your Big Screen you should seriously give the Logitech Revue a shot. If you are able to activate it, you are gonna be really happy with :)