Spartans Home

Should I Buy?

As the title says...Should I buy this game?

Does it require a ton of time to keep up with other players? Or with my inconsistent gaming time will I always be many levels behind?

Is this the flavor of the month? We all waited months to get our hands on BF3 and SPARTA players are already infrequent.

Let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks and happy new year!

Yankee

I personally am enjoying it. It has some good elements in the GUI that were refined with long standing titles like WoW, and the quest system is much like Mass Effect as I hear and lets you get more involved in the decision of how you are playing your character. The crafting system seems simpler than other systems in the past and removed some of the administrivia. I haven't seen PvP yet so I can't comment. The SWTOR quest system, and the unique story-line for all classes, means that there is quite a bit of content already there out of the box that won't go dry for a player for a while (months).

The fact that you early on get a companion means that you technically could solo much of the game from start to finish, so its not as much a matter of having to keep up with everyone than just enjoying the game for the content itself. We have all gotten together to go do some group quests that require multiple people, but for the most part we have all been playing through the quests alone.

It has yet to fully pull me in like WoW, which is technically good. I play it for an hour or two, and then go jump into BF3 or Minecraft, etc. WoW was a time sink and a bad drug - I wouldn't play any other game but it for 4 years since beta until I finally went cold turkey.

The problem with BF3 and every game on the shelf is that at some point you've shot everything, seen it all, and the content runs dry. Unless the game manufacturers keep up with adding new content (BF3 Karkand, WoW ) or build a system that lets the community modify or own it (Arma 2, Minecraft, EVE economy+politics, etc) then chances are we'll all be looking for the next flavor of Rocky Road soon.

So,

• If you enjoy MMO's and enjoy Star Wars - then buy it and enjoy it for the next 4+ months.
  • If you have never done an MMO but are curious, its not bad for a starter and worth a shot w/ 1 month built into the purchase cost.
  • If you don't like the idea of a game that could take months until you play out all the content, then I'd suggest you pass.

I concur and will likely play for months.

If you start out and play sporadically, you will be levels behind us. However, that does not mean that we cannot play with you, depending on what is being worked on at the time.

Tyler started out behind and I created a new character of a different class than I was currently running just so I could assist him along. He was a few levels ahead of me, but we were able to play together to get him over his hurdle and get him used to the game. Once used to the game, he took off with it and hit an in-between level and left planet for a planet that my other character was on. Although my other character was levels ahead of him, he and I were able to do some things together. Currently, he is within striking distance of the rest of Sparta's main characters.

Please ask for his input as to what he thinks of the game.

Majestic also seems to be enjoying it. Most of us are around level 20, plus or minus a couple of levels. The game caps out at 50 levels, but there is additional content, ie warzones, group missions and heroics that I believe are out there or will be coming within the next few months (they've already announced a January release).

So, it should have some legs.

I also have to extend my thanks for the people that have responded to this thread. SW:TOR is one of only two MMOs to ever really catch my eye (the other being Guild Wars 2), and the comments above have bolstered my determination to give it a good try, albeit not until perhaps mid or even late January. Even if I don't play for more than a couple of months, it does sound like it will be a worthwhile experience.