Spartans Home

Steam Mover - The best invention after the Wheel!

Batwing~SPARTA~

I want to share this with you guys and all the Credits are going to our neverending resourceful Hajimoto

THE STEAM MOVER APPLICATION

Which although has been created with the specifi intent to move Steam games around, it is really working with any kind of software.

This is the best Invention since the wheel, the PC and .. of course.. PC gaming !!

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/move-steam-games-without-changing-junction-points-with-steam-mover/

YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS APP !

Building my SSD what I am doing is:

1 - Install OS and only the most important software and drives on SSD - move all data links (docs, pics, movies etc.) to STORAGE drive - move all TEMP routines to STORAGE drive

2 - Create a folder on SSD for GAMES HI-PERFORMANCE and PROGRAMS HI-PERFORMANCE (we'll see why later)

3 - Install ALL OF Your Software on STORAGE drive - complete full installation and test everything is fully working

4 - Use the STEAM MOVER App and redirect ONLY those games and /or Programs to the SSD Folder you created at Step 2

This method is totally seamless, works 100% (tested) and allows you to move back and forth whatever you want to have on Hi-Perfomance mode with no changes on Registry keys and other hassles.

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION TO USE YOUR SSD AT THE BEST!

I can t thank Hajimoto enough to show me this little application but the writer of that App is a Pure genius !

mklink /?

The full command is mklink /J

Basically you specify a folder name for the source (this folder should NOT already exist), and a target directory (the folder you specified as source will be created and will point to this directory).

So, say I want to move Skyrim off of my C:\ drive and onto my D:\ drive, or more specifically the D:\Games folder. I'd first copy the folders over to my D:\ drive (in this case, the "skyrim" folder @ C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common)

So now in D:\Games I can see the folder skyrim, which is a copy of the skyrim folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

Now, I delete/rename the skyrim folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common, and create a junction.

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim" "D:\Games\skyrim"

Now whenever something tries to access the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim folder, it will redirect to my D:\ drive. I can therefore continue to play Skyrim like normal, but it will no longer be taking up space on my C:\ drive. This is wonderful if you have an SSD as your main drive and only want certain games on it (same process, in reverse, from D:\ to C:\)

i might give this a try then... I really need something like this. I was trying mklink commands awhile back, and I couldnt get them to work.

i need this to be able to have my full steam collection on a portable hard drive I own.I recently purchased a usb 3.0 1tb hd so I can have like my total war collection

hey, be careful about your project.

You said you wanna have your collection to a "portable" drive. You can do that, but that doesn t mean your collection will be "portable" and able to run from other PC.

The registry key on your PC stays untouched. So when you wanna run a game it goes and look into Steam. You "redirected" those files somewhere else, meaning the "external" drive needs to be connected for you to be able to play, otherwise the redirection will not work (of course).

Also meaning those games CANNOT be accessed by any other PC (null portability).

As a final thought, be sure you are not moving on the portable disk any of "hi-performance" games. As external drive I doubt seriously you can have fast access write and read times and an hi-demanding game might turn up quite sluggish. Reason why we tend to move games to SSD drives (fastest) while you are moving to external drives (slowest).

QUESTION TO HAJI ABOUT THIS SUBJECT:

How updates are working with Redirected files?

So, Registry says game is in folder A and the Update installer will go to update files to Folder A. However all of those files are no more there and redirected to folder B. Is this going to delete, modify, append, re-write, whatever.. the correct files on folder B ?

Also,

If an update for some reason is going to Add new files, they will be written on folder A? how they get (if they do at all) redirected to folder B?

and also, MANUAL UPDATE - example with Arma2

Just released ACE 1.13. I have the full Arma folder redirected to folder B. Should I Revert ACE 1.11 first, delete it from Folder A, then add ACE 1.13 to folder A and then Redirect ACE 1.13 to folder B ?

Man !! I am lost in the REDIRECTION Universe !

In the case with junctions (not sure if that GUI tool does it differently), anything you do within folder A will take affect in folder B. Added files to folder A? You really only added them to folder B. Folder A is no longer a folder, it is a pointer to folder B. Therefore, ANYTHING that happens to Folder A, will happen to Folder B. Well, almost anything. If you delete folder A, it only deletes the junction, and folder B will remain (which is VERY GOOD in my opinion, prevents accidental deletions when trying to remove junction points)

Short answer: Yes, everything will still work (updating, etc).

@batwing

Its a portable drive for a laptop. Its pretty decent laptop that allows me to run most of my games, unfortunately it did not have two hd bays, so I swapped the original hd into a 240gb vertex 2, and bought a 1tb usb 3.0 as backup, when i'm at home, I have all my music, videos and games in this separate hd, this allows me to have more games in my ssd, however, i dont have half of my steam collection downloaded because i didnt know how work mklinks...