Spartans Home

Guide: Maximize Profit by Slicing

MedicSN6

-TOP EDIT- Just a disclaimer, this little guide has very few researched stats and not all areas of the Slicing Mission system were tested! It's solely from my brief experience and watching gameplay. If you're an experienced mmoer, this may be of little value to you. PLEASE read the comments below and assess for yourself how you want to approach the system! I'll update as needed! Thanks! _________

Here's a quick guide I wrote up as a response to a guildmate on our forums. Thought I'd share my advice with ya'll cause I've learned so much from /r/swtor! Please comment with any of your own suggestions, experiences or critiques!

-Yo dawg, I heard you like Credits-

During Beta weekend I did Slicing to see how much it actually got me and I would say it is totally worth it. I got to level 21 and had around 50k credits with a slicing skill of 150 out of 400. You will need 48K for your Mount Skill + Mount at level 25. I'll list my strategy below which I've developed from Beta Weekend, previous mmo experience and WarGFN's Smuggler Scoundrel videos http://www.twitch.tv/wargfn/videos. (He probably knows a lot more than me about this.) Slicing is seen throughout his "SWtOR Smuggler NDA lifted" videos on pages 2-3. Watch away! I learned so much!

This is my advice/guide to anyone else looking to maximize profit early in the game via Slicing.

I'll put a TL;DR below the list. (Education major here. I like to over-explain.)

Send your 1st companion on Slicing missions anytime you don't feel like you need them for questing. Do this immediately after you pick up the Profession at LvL 10.

On choosing missions, first check for the mission rewards. There are options for either "augments or lockboxes". You want to choose one with the lockbox as a reward. These lockboxes come at various yields, moderate being the lowest. Though I do not know the entire list, you want to choose missions with "Rich" or "Abundant" yeilds, giving you more profit!

Also, you will want to check the level of the mission. There identifiers from most difficult range to least are Orange/Yellow/Green/Grey. The more difficult, the more Slicing XP and potential yield, but there is a chance for failure. As your character's level increases, more missions will become available.

My strategy in early levels was to send my Companions on the cheapest mission possible and fastest time possible. (Usually from 300-400 credits and are 3-4 minutes.) These provided low yields, but were great for leveling Slicing quickly.

As for how much you are rewarded for missions, I experienced around a 10% increase in my investment over time and it seemed to grow as I leveled (Better yields). Though I've heard of different experiences from others, I believe it is still worth the investment.

A large way you will make your money is by picking up every Slicing node you find while questing. They're marked on your mini-map as a star looking thing. I got anywhere form 50-600 cR from these. Many require a Slicing level, I noticed some requiring 65 or so on LvL 15-20 areas.

When you get a 2nd companion, always send the unused one on Slicing quests. And when you can send 2, do it. Also, always remember to send them during Flashpoints and before Warzones.

If you want to maximize profit do not look to level up any other professions via missions. I suggest picking up something like Scavenging or Bioanalysis where you can level up while questing for free and selling your mats on the GTN.

Only spend money on repairs, quest options (if LS or DS decisions require it), and generosity for guildmates. If I've learned anything about money from mmo experience it is to NEVER BUY GEAR ON THE "GALACTIC TRADE NETWORK" AT EARLY LEVELS. I couldn't stress that enough. You will out level your gear faster than a blaster shot to a Womp rat. Accept quest gear, let guildmates craft for you. Please don't buy off the GTN.

To take advantage of those not willing to listen to what I said above, sell everything that is of some worth on the GTN at prices 50-75% of that current average. This will usually get you a for sure sale, and you're losing nothing in the process. If there is no item like yours on the network, sell it anyway.

TL;DR - Constantly send max companions on Slicing missions - Pick up EVERY Slicing node - Don't pay for anything but Slicing and repairs, sell everything

Ultimately, be smart with your cR and you'll see your wallet go up and up. But my biggest bit of advice is to never be stingy toward your guildmates who need some aid. This may be for skills, a speeder, some end-game gear/crafting item they need on the GTN or giving them a tip for making you some awesome gear/item. If you faithfully focus on money-making through end-game you certainly will be the 1%, but this money doesn't transfer to a RL bank account. So be generous (it is the season)! There's so much more joy in giving!

But there is no joy in ToR access starting during my finals week. :(