Spartans Home

Ubisoft drama. Why Valve is > all.

Rooster90

Idk if you guys have been keeping up with the controvery Ubisoft has stirred with their unsurprising PC hate comments.

Initial statement from Ubisoft: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/24/ubisoft-i-am-alive-skipping-pc-because-its-not-worth-it/

Ubisoft basically says that the PC market isn't "worth it" since we're all pirates who do nothing but bitch.

Quotes: "We?ve heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about there being no version for them... "

"It?s hard because there?s so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it. Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC. It?s not a massive cost but it?s still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game, then it?s not worth it."

Today they "retracted" their statements. More specifically, they only retracted the bit about the game not being on the PC platform. They said nothing about labeling the PC community as bitchy pirates.

Retract: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/25/i-am-alive-dev-retracts-pc-hate/

Conveniently, and likely purposefully, Gabe Newell himself wrote to IGN about piracy and how it's a non-issue if you can offer a great service.

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1213357p1.html

Maybe if all of Ubisoft's games weren't half-assed ports with horribly annoying DRM, people would be more inclined to actually purchase their product on PC. It's a real shame such a backwards-thinking company owns the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon series.

Well,

I think there are "opinions" and some frustrations ongoing on developers as welll, not only on the gamer side.

I am sure Devs are concerned about piracy but as MH6 and you too Rooster know, what s really matters is the quality of what you do.

Further more after quality come the playability. Actually in my opinion Ubisoft has one of the most beautiful and accurate games franchise: Assassin s Creed.

I don t think Ubi had to complain about Assassin creed on PC. I am sure many copies were pirated but I am pretty sure they made enough money with the trilogy, otherwise... there was no trilogy.. plain and simple :) Business is Business, is something doesn t pay, they simply don t do it :)

Assassin s Creed suffer of some "porting" from console, sometimes controls are weird for PC, but overall to me all of the work behind scene pays the little bit of annoiance. Is a masterpiece game and I am sure it has good revenues.

Maybe not all of their productions are so high quality. Maybe they have games that are specifically for consoles. Honestly I would prefer not having a game on PC at all, better than having a crappy Port, just because "they had to do it".

On the other end, I don t know of ANY game is so excellent on console to make me think to buy a console because I can t live without it...

Buttom line.. I was not aware of a such "drama'.. but honestly i don t even give a S**t about it :)

Not to mention their draconian DRM which they are infamous for. And after the "From Dust" fiasco Ubisoft lost even more credibility with PC gamers everywhere. They announced and advertised there was no DRM, launch came and there was DRM. So far it's the only game Steam has ever offered refunds for regardless of region. It was that bad.

AC is probably the only series that isn't completely terrible on PC. Every other game has been a garbage port. And for a professional company to make such ignorant and insulting comments in public is pretty pathetic. Idc how good the new Rainbow Six may or may not be, I refuse to purchase it now.