Spartans Home

Minecraft Drama YogsCast

EMT~SPARTA~

If you are following @Notch on twitter, then you would of seen his recent tweet(I check it from time to time when im bored) about unacceptable language being used during a panel interview.

" We also learned who not to work with at Minecon. Shame.. :/"

"I'm very sorry about the behavior of the people we won't work with any more. Celebrity or not, you don't f-bomb kids."

"Yes, Yogscast."

If you are unfamilar with YogsCast, it is 2 guys who play Minecraft and Mods that are part of minecraft and stream it onto youtube. My personal favorite is their survival episode. YogsCast gets about 800,000 views a month from their videos.

YogsCast has tweeted today "You will hear it in full graphic detail when we're back in the UK :)" obviously in a sarcastic response.

To this date, Minecraft has spent $0.00 on marketing and many people believe Yogscast played a big part in free advertisement for Minecraft. Also many people are outraged by notches ban on yogscast from coming to anymore minecraft events. In YogsCast interview with notch prior to the drama, he made some pretty dirty jokes.

So what is everyone's opinion on the subject?

Edited by EMT~SPARTA~

If you are following @Notch on twitter, then you would of seen his recent tweet(I check it from time to time when im bored) about unacceptable language being used during a panel interview.

" We also learned who not to work with at Minecon. Shame.. :/"

"I'm very sorry about the behavior of the people we won't work with any more. Celebrity or not, you don't f-bomb kids."

"Yes, Yogscast."

If you are unfamilar with YogsCast, it is 2 guys who play Minecraft and Mods that are part of minecraft and stream it onto youtube. My personal favorite is their survival episode. YogsCast gets about 800,000 views a month from their videos.

YogsCast has tweeted today "You will hear it in full graphic detail when we're back in the UK :)" obviously in a sarcastic response.

To this date, Minecraft has spent $0.00 on marketing and many people believe Yogscast played a big part in free advertisement for Minecraft. Also many people are outraged by notches ban on yogscast from coming to anymore minecraft events. In YogsCast interview with notch prior to the drama, he made some pretty dirty jokes.

So what is everyone's opinion on the subject?

There are events for minecraft? Do people dress up as their favorite 8mb pixilated block of mineral?

Update: Notch has tweeted this:

Wow. Hate, insults and threats are flooding in from Yogscast fans. I'll stop biting my tongue now.

Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop.

They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).

And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big and that we should thank them more than anyone else in the community. They're total dicks

A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead.

Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egosAll this said, I'm very tired at the moment, and this will probably pass. I do like the work they do, very much.

Other people have done more, and demand less.

I'm a fan of the Yogscast I have to admit ever since I saw a Magicka video of them and Total Biscuit posted here on the Spartan forum. From the impression I get from reddit and other sites I would say that it's not black and white.

At the moment things are rather one sided seeing how Simon and Lewis are on the plane back to blighty and will respond when they get home. Untill we hear both sides it's pretty difficult to add anything aside from speculation. Here's mine anyway!

I wager that Notch's twitter feed was the result of him being pretty damned tired and being fed on cherry picked 2nd hand information on a range of small things adding up to this very public rant. One of the chief things probably stems from an Edge magazine review: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/yogscast-credit-us-minecrafts-success

It paints the yogscast as pretty damned arrogant however if you do your homework you'll find that the magazine took their comments out of context probably to cause a bit of controversy. When the Yogscast were saying that the Youtube community had been one of the major factors in Mojang's success, Edge magazine wrote it up so that it sounded like the yogscast were claiming to be the biggest factor behind the success. This same magazine quickly lept upon the Notch vs. Yogscast story with an interesting enthusiasm.

Some of the other comments from Notch talk about the Yogscast wanting some expenses paid etc but I think that TB's post discusses this quite eloquently.

Other reddit posts also give more info (if you believe the sources) that provide more of a balanced argument:

I think that the Yogscast are generally a decent lot and I also think that Notch is a pretty cool guy. I'm thinking that there is a lot of misinformation going on that is not the fault of Notch or Simon and Lewis but probably the fault of a few others.

One thing that I don't approve of regarding the Yogscast however was the way they went about creating the Yogbox, a compilation of mods. I feel that they didn't credit the modders enough and certainly rubbed a few of them up the wrong way.

In any case it's all probably just a storm in a teacup.