Spartans Home

Steel needs a little help

Steel~Sparta~

Ok men and ladies I have a bit of a problem. The issue is that my HDD is filling up... Fast. 443.2GB used and only 153 GB free. I think this is one of several things that is impacting system performance. It is also the one that I have budgeted to fix.

The plan is to add a 2nd HDD and use that as a gaming drive. I will likely buy something in the 1.5TB to 2TB range. I have the hardware covered... I am a field tech after all. Were I need your help is on the software side.

Most of the games that I buy now are through STEAM and I know that there is a option to back up my games. I am thinking that the best thing to do is the following...

1. Back up the games to the new drive

2. uninstall Steam from my primary HDD

3. reinstall Steam to the secondary HDD

4. Restore backup of games

5. drink beer and play games.

Has anyone ever tried this? does anyone know if this is a sound plan/ course of action? Ideas are welcome. Thank you for your time.

Don't bother reinstalling Steam. Copy the game folders for your Steam games to the second HDD, and make junctions pointing to their new location on the original HDD. So as far as the computer is concerned, they still reside on the old HDD, yet they are actually stored on the new HDD, and therefore don't take up any space on the original HDD. I wrote instructions on how to do this somewhere... but essentially you use the mklink /j command