Spartans Home

What is EVE

DrNo~SPARTA~

Backstory:

http://www.eve-online.com/background/

FAQ:

http://www.eve-online.com/faq/faq_01.asp

There is a cool picture slide show Tutorial that walks a new player through setting up a character and learning a few things about the interface. A good thing to watch if your are thinking about playing or wanting to know more. I cannot link you to it because it is an internal JavaScript.

To view it, click the FAQ link above and then click 'Picture Tutorial' at the bottom of the FAQ sub-category menu.

Keep in mind that that tutorial was created with the original graphics engine an could use some updating. While the game has been upgraded majorly recently, there are two levels a player can play at. Neither one affects gameplay like it would in a n FPS game. Since this game is "lock on and fire", most of the time you dont even get close enough to see the other person's ship unless you want to.

This game to me is about just flying my ship around and killing NPC enemy ships (Rats) and doing a mission every once in a while. However, this game can be played so many different ways and for different reasons. I have friends that own their own space stations and control towers that they can dock at. It incredible.

If we could take the amount of weapons and perks for CoD4 and multiply them to oh lets just say a million and then give each one a specific ballistic profile and ability set along with its own draw backs. Then there is a multitude of attachments to add to your weapon each with its own abilities and drawbacks. Then gave you the ability to while in game learn new skills to use cool new weapons and perks. Wouldnt we all play it?

Well, in EVE your weapon is your ship, and every thing that you attach to it affects the ship in a positive and sometimes a negative way. There are tons of different ships to choose from, each with their own purpose in the game, ranging from combat to courier and freight to mining.

The time involved is to figure out what works the best for you at the moment and what attachments work well for your ship. Its kind of like a text based adventure that is unlimited with a very easy to use and enjoyable eye candy GUI. Yes initially there is a lot to figure out, but there are tons of resources to read and look at plus the game has in-game chat channels and tutorials as well as the players guide.

Do a search on youtube for "eve online" and watch some of the videos to see some combat and some player made vids. also watch the videos on http://www.eve-online.com.

Also watch the videos and movies on the main site.

I hope this gets you started. The best thing is that if you want to take a break from the game for a few days, you can just set up a skill to train for whatever duration and then chill playing CoD4 or whatever. You play when you want to and keep it at your pace.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

It's a pretty cool game, but it dose take some getting into, so don't just give it a few hours like I did in the past.

This is my third attempt at trying to understand the game. And because of Medics help and his friends as made it easier for me to progress to a point where I can get something out of the game.

At the moment I am currently training skills (COD Ranks), but i don't think there is a limit, and if there is I think it would take me years to get there.

Me I went the combat route, and I am just using the game as a filler game. Few hours a week, because games like COD, GRAW, CRYSIS, come and go. And once you have mastered the game, that's when it becomes a mundane.

Where as EVE is so huge, it as big as space it's self. And so much to explore and progress from a simple Hans Solo, to a Cpt Pickard, and one day have your own Deep Space Nine.

Try the trial for 14 days guys, and me and medic will help you out as much as possible. Mainly medic as I am still very new to the game.