Spartans Home

Halloween Stories

Hey all, time to share spooky stories or things you've heard. Seen a ghost? Let us know and laugh at ya for it! :)

The Closest I've ever gotten to a ghost:

Just to give a preface, I'm the biggest scaredy-cat you'll ever see. I watch a ghost movie or read a ghost story and I don't sleep for days. The Blair Witch Project gave me the jeebies for weeks, lol. So, the closest I'll ever come to a ghost is from family or friends telling stories.

Back when I was 18, I was out camping with some friends in a small island on a dried creek bed at the base of a large ridgeline. It was late Fall so the water was down enough for us to set up our fire and stump seats. After a few hours of drinking and laughing at each others' jokes, the conversation died down a bit and we were just looking at the fire. Suddenly, from behind me (my 7 o'clock) and about 20yrds away rose up this guteral female's scream that made me almost piss my pants. The closest thing I can compare it to is a woman's terrified scream as she's losing her life, or a banshee.

I knew it wasn't a woman, though because it lasted far longer than what a woman, even with healthy lungs, would produce. All in all, it lasted about 10sec. The entire time, all my friends sat frozen and wide-eyed looking at me like I was about to be pulled out of the firelight any second. Nothing else happened that night, but it was the longest night I've ever spent outdoors. Years later, a hunter friend and I were talking about it and he described that sound as a large cat, possibly a mountain lion or a panther that has been seen/heard in that area. Now that I finally know what it is, I'm not sure if I shouldn't have been more scared lol.

Here's the closest thing I've been able to find on it. It was the same, but only happened once and lasted far longer and drawn out. There was no scratchiness to the voice typically heard in cats, sounded just like a woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58g_nvMIRw

My computer can see all the way down my hallway... One night while playing DODS, I saw a little girl in a white nightgown, with brown hair, about the age of 5 walk across my hallway(from the ktichen to the workout room). I was the only person home at the time, so I shut my door and just kept staring in the general direction. I can picture what the girl looked like even till this day. It happened about when I was 16. 22 now.

I saw her once more before moving out for college. I named her Maria and whenever something would move or crack I would say "porque Maria!"

I also tried figuring out why a ghost of a little girl would be in my house, since we built the house. I found out from my friends that before I moved to that area, it was a summer camp for kids. (no joke) Never dug any further than that.

Holy shit durka, that noise is fucking scary! I heard it and put myself in your situation... I would of pissed myself.

Edited by EMT~SPARTA~

Funny thing is, I don't remember being that scared. I know my eyes were like doughnuts and my hair was standing up, but nothing more. I wasn't having nightmares or anything about it. After it happened, we all looked at each other in silence for a few seconds and said, "ummm, I think we need to sleep somewhere safe tonight" haha. We all piled in the bed of my cousin's pickup, legs sticking out and all. We heard something creeping up to the truck later that night, and we were all waiting to be eaten, but it was just a groundhog.

I think I would've had nightmares if I had seen what you did EMT. Or at least I would've been freaked out enough to never live there again lol.

I live in a hundred year-old farm house. Never had any kind of ghost sighting or anything similar though. sad.gif

Did once hear some strange sounds coming from the woods behind our house, but I'm pretty sure it was just an animal that was about to be eaten.

My girlfriend is very superstitious though (Me...not so much). Once when she spent the night she told me that she heard a scratching noise, which of course woke her up (she's a very light sleeper). She said it sounded like writing, and that I woke up to tell whoever was doing it to shut the hell up and fell back asleep. She was scared the entire night (while I slept soundly). In the morning she tells me this, and I calmly explain to her that it was the fucking cat scratching up the furniture. I thought it was pretty funny--her, not so much.

7am on a Saturday. I'm in bed when I thought I heard voices coming down the hall... Takes a moment for me to suddenly realize I'm not dreaming and I am hearing voices down the hall. Fall outta bed looking for anything that I can use for a weapon and cursing that I had left my guns in the other room.

....takes me a second to realize it was Zeno. Talking on teamspeak because I had forgotten to log off the previous night. >.<

Haha, good one War. I sleep very heavily, so I have not been effected by this, but many times my wife has cursed me out in the morning for leaving my sound on "Speakers" instead of in my headset. She'll wake up in the middle of the night, hearing the TS3 text-to-speech notifications or someone in the AFK channel that doesn't have their mic muted, coming from down the hall and freaking out her out.

- JHunter

I'll preface this with a bit of set up:

My parent's house has huge 6-foot windows along the front and back sides of the main area of the house and is situated on a street corner. Therefore, light from the two streets gets bounced around the first floor quite a lot in rooms around the perimeter. However, not so much in back due to an 8 foot privacy fence. With that said....

One of the first times I spent the night at home alone I was vegged out on the sofa watching tv in the living room sometime after midnight. Suddenly I heard rampant knocking on both front doors and both back doors along with bright lights akin to flood lights through both windows in the living room and the bay window in the kitchen, both of which face to the back yard. The commotion lasted for nearly a minute and disappeared.

It never happened again.

Edit: Oh yeah, the area around the lot opposite the roads? Trees, two acres each way. Roads are front and left if facing the way of the house.

I never talk about this.

4 years ago I was home for summer break. Being a volunteer firefighter, one night I get called out for a bad MVA involving a family. I arrive on scene first and start to assess and triage. 6 occupants between two cars. One car is down into a ditch, other is a small patch of trees. I'm quickly doing vitals and tagging occupants red and black and hear sirens in the distance. At this point it's not looking good and I tell te responding trucks to step it up.

Not as soon as I let go of my mic I feel a hand grab my shoulder. I about jump out of my pants. It's some guy who's face I will never forget. He starts asking about his kids (they're in te car in the trees). At this point I'm assuming he was ejected and somehow survived or is suffering head trauma.

About this point the first ambulance arrives and I run over and tell them to grab the guy who I have directed to sit on the sidewalk. I continue on assuming he's taken care of. Ambulances come and go helicopter lands whisks one kid away. I had literally put this night out of my head as it was just one of the accidents where i didn't expect much (any emt will understand this).

Fast forward about a month. Sitting at the station shooting the breeze. The accident comes up and me being the caring guy I say something to he effect of "oh yeah I feel so bad for that guy if he survived. I don't think anyone made it from the car in the trees." all my buddies give me a weird look and say what guy? I tell them the story and they all have a confused look on their faces.

Turns out, all of the occupants were doa, including the dad. None were pulled from the car. To this day, remembering what I saw an felt and trying to think how I missed him in the car still haunts me. No one remembers any guy and when I asked about the guy on the sidewalk, the medics said they thought I was talking about the other occupant who I had pulled up from the ditch near the sidewalk to do vitals.

Happy halloween!

That's a crazy story Yankee. When you saw him, did he look just like any regular person? Did he have any sort of injuries that you could tell, or was he clean? I've heard more than a few stories from cops and first responders, enough to make you wonder...

@Ty: what in the world did you do after it happened? Once I got my berings, I probably would'a high-tailed it out of there. Then again, I'd be afraid to move lol.

Durka, not having a car or legal method of driving left me with little choice but to stick it out and hope that E.T. left the anal probes back home...

lol OK I think I would've hid under the bed :lol:

I have another story that's not directly mine, but I was present on some of the occasions. My wife, for a period, had these hypnagogic hallucinations, which are extreemly vivid hallucinations that happen during the time between being fully asleep and awake. Anyways, when she was living as an AuPair, she would have these visions of a large shadow-man at the foot of her bed. Once, back in Latvia, she said she had a dream of her friend who had died the night before (my wife hadn't been notified yet) and her friend only said "it'll be ok, it'll be ok." Back in America, during the first year we were married, she said she saw the shadow man this time in the doorway to our bedroom, just standing there. She couldn't make out facial features, but she said he had broad shoulders and even wore a hat, like a baseball cap.

One night she woke me up, but knowing I was a scaredy cat, she said she thought she heard something downstairs. I quickly found a blunt object (a remote control, lol) and investigated to find nothing. She didn't tell me till much later what she saw. Thanks, hun.

The last "vision" she saw, she said she woke up, rolled over, and saw a little black-headed boy standing next to her bed. He immediately ran away super fast out the door. I'm pretty sure they were hallucinations, but damn if she had told me when it happened I'd probably have either called an exorcist or a divorce lawyer!