Spartans Home

What was your impression of Battlelog?

SirSmokalot

So what was your impressions guys?

I kind of dig Battlelog and it's lay out. It's not bad, a definitely extreme change in UI yet I do the see the potential positive aspects. Namely getting around and navigating if you will, think about it; it's laid out like something were familiar with and the browser launches the game. For some reason a small part of me feels cheated in this paradigm compared to previous but I get the idea behind it.

Now as far as Soldiers, rumor has it that a Unique Soldier name and one not represented by the Origin ID can be used. I've heard not being able to customize this has been a gripe in large numbers, including your's truly. The stats and other features are quite cool though and the ease of access....some stuff is a bit wonky to find when doing comparisons etc, but it all falls in good order once you figure it out.

Did you fellas try setting up a "Platoon"?

If you didn't know you can also join multiple Platoons at one time, yet I don't know the limit. We set one up, gave multiple users "leader" access. That enabled them to do just about anything the founder could do ranging from accepting incoming troops, to editing the team emblem.

I went mad crazy making a cool emblem though, in testing the capabilities in case they don't allow uploading (beta they didn't). So utilizing my experience with Need for Speed Decals, and working in layers and overlays, I came to concoct the following:

2826550451885618364.jpeg

For how small and simple it was a handy little web app.

I'm even surprised at the date of this posting my emblem is still archived lol. I'm sure it will be deleted before the 25th...who knows.

Edited by SirSmokalot

Im sure my question could be answered with a bit more time of searching but I wasn't able to get a quick answer. Do you know if we will be able to customize the in-game soldiers look at all? To me it seemed like some players had fairly unique looking gear (gas masks, sunglasses...) but I wasn't sure where to customize this or if it was just random?

I personally have no problems with Battlelog, since I currently use two monitors and don't have to alt-enter to play the game. Plus I'm a stats whore, so I love all the information and launching the game from Battlelog is nice, since its like a one stop place to play the game.

My main issue with Battlelog was the fact that it only successfully launches the game about 40% of the time. It usually requires that I end-task bf3.exe a couple times before it will actually join the server.

But, you know--that's what happens when you use a convoluted browser-based plugin system to launch a fucking 3D game.

Or maybe that s what happens if u dont use IE 8 or 9.

I didn t have a single failure on launch using IE 9

Fuck IE. If IE is the only one that works properly, why make a browser-based interface at all? Hell, why launch any other browser when clicking Play? It's no excuse for their shitty support of other browsers.

I've even seen professional web developers say to a customer, "Oh, I guess doesn't work with our site. Use Internet Explorer". Fuck everything about that. How about the web developers actually fix their fucking website.

P.S. - It also pisses me off to no end how Battlefield 3 switches to windowed mode all. the. damn. time. I have to hit alt-enter about 30 god damn times during a session.

But you know, other than browser/fullscreen issues, the game's fine. So if they had just done everything in-game I'd have zero complaints.

I had no issues with battlelog in chrome or firefox, did have some disco and other network issues, but that was expected to happen in the beta. I prefer server browsers that don't require starting the actual game first. Also like no stupid splash screen movies for me to skip. The UI of battlelog is simple and functional, also like that my PC will not be under load while browsing servers.

It did suck having the game switch to windowed mode when certain things happened such as an email notification or instant message. Not a big fan of unnecessary browser plugins or video games trying to link with social networking. Really do not need any help with the ladies from EA.

Im sure my question could be answered with a bit more time of searching but I wasn't able to get a quick answer. Do you know if we will be able to customize the in-game soldiers look at all? To me it seemed like some players had fairly unique looking gear (gas masks, sunglasses...) but I wasn't sure where to customize this or if it was just random?

Phisher certain pre-order's like the one I choose to go with (Best Buy in the US has it , and other vendors outside the US have it as well, its the bonus SPECACT "kit" whatever the fuck that means) has slight uniform deviations, but other then that customization's maybe added later since they did early on gloat about this.....ma

SPEC ACT pre-order bonus for BF3:

bf3-specact-620x348.jpg

bf3-specact-2-620x348.jpg

My main issue with Battlelog was the fact that it only successfully launches the game about 40% of the time. It usually requires that I end-task bf3.exe a couple times before it will actually join the server.

But, you know--that's what happens when you use a convoluted browser-based plugin system to launch a fucking 3D game.

I feel ya...

What browser do you use? I use Chrome but I had issues with Chrome going into view stats and browse around Battlelog, but I was using version Beta 16 instead of current 14, along with other "flags" turned on. So I had to revert to IE9 in order to browse stats and do miscellaneous duties. When it came to launching game though, Chrome worked fine.

But I also feel ya, that was my first thought too, having a browser launch a game. I saw this in Need For Speed World and was ok with it since the game was free and built on an eco system powered by the browser. That's what scares me about BF3 in Battlelog, this may turn into an eco-system as well that's powered by the same paradigm of buying upgrades or unlocked weapons before you can unlock them.

I hated it to start but by day 10 Beta, I actually like it more and more....

I hope they keep adding to it, it's way more than a single game interface.

With the above comment in mind I became more accustomed to it like you Viper and its not bad and I dig its features actually!

BUT if they can't fix the ESN Sonar issues I was having then forget about it!

They need to make it where you can turn that crap off since most of us don't even use the VOIP via Browser anyhow. Its lame that the VOIP usage in the server is lacking since you can't communicate with anyone unless its via the "Party" or outside VOIP solutions.

I dunno how many times we had slapstick moments regarding "joining the party..", "But I invited you to the party..", "were having a party" etc, etc....lol.

Edited by SirSmokalot

as generic functionality I found it ok.

It doesn t really makes any difference to me if I have a menu inside or outside the "game" so far it works, it s all good.

I also had no isses at all with going Windowed mode. I switch it on full screen and stays there. It staerts in windowed and I have to switchit to full, which, probably I d like to have an option to set on permanent full.

Other than that, as i said, if it works, I m happy for it :)