Spartans Home

Need new bank

EMT~SPARTA~

I need everyones help with this. I'm with B of A and with the recent news of the $5 a month debit card fee, I need to find a new bank in the Orlando, fl area. I've read about credit unions, but I just don't know enough about them to feel good with any disicion I make. Please post your opinions or banks. Perferably a bank with $0 debit fee.

Thank you!

EMT

I've been a member of a credit union since I was 16 and I laugh at anyone when they talk about some strange change in the way their big bank does business and screws them. I went with BofA for about a year, then promptly dropped them. With a credit union, depending on who you have, your money shows up immediately in your account, you get personal attention whenever you have a request, and many other things that are great. I have a home loan with a big bank, but that's about it.

We cancelled my wife's big bank account recently because they were going to charge her a bunch of money if her account went below $500. That means, if you get down in the dumps, start losing money, you have to BOHICA because the bank feels they want to take their share. I say screw them back and take your money out. It's the beauty of a free-market system. Vote with your money. And then when the credit unions get so popular and big that THEY start doing stupid stuff to stay alive,(because they used their money wrong) we'll move to another type of bank.

And if you aren't satisfied with any bank you visit, then there's always the Mason-Jar approach.

I'm part of the Virginia Credit Union, which is nice. They're always very helpful, and all my interest rates are fairly low.

Only downside is that, being a credit union, it is not as prevalent as some big banks are in regards to branch locations. Though the VACU is also a part of a nation-wide Credit Union network so even if you go out of state you can still usually find another credit union or ATM to use nearby.

im with a credit union in canada, I have no fees whatsoever, the only real downside is amount of branches and atms in an area.

For me, the upsides weight the downsides by a large margin. If I'm stuck somewhere and need to get to an ATM, there's usually a charge. (i got charged $3 to take $20 out!) but I'm rarely ever in need of an ATM anymore since I can just go to so many places and use my debit card to take out money without fees. The upside is that I know I won't wake up one morning and my bank will say "oh, by the way, we decided to charge you an extra fee for existing."

Thank you all for helping me.

I looked into my work to see if they had a Credit Union, and they did. So when I have time and talk it over with my girlfriend more, cause she needs to find one too, ill move over to it. Woot! You're going down Bank of America! Charging my a$$ $5 dollars to use my own money! HA! I laugh at your $5 dollars! :banana_dance:

EMT - 5

Bank of America - 45 billion

Now my only problem is getting everything worked out. When I go to the bank to close my accounts, do they give me a check with all the money? I've never had to close an account before. Been with BoA for a while now. I've already called the car insurance to get them ready for a smooth transition of accounts. Now I just have to somehow corrdinate this. Banks close at 6 on week days? I dont get home till 6... Hmmm I get out at 2:30 today, but the Credit unions close at 2... Argh! So i could take my money out today, hold it over the weekend, and do it first thing monday... but that means having a huge check sitting around all weekend. And what if i need cash...

Help me please. Find a solution.

Ok, all set. Doing it Tuesday. Lady was sooo nice. Made me happy! The credit union is in my office, which is awesome. I just have to close my accounts.... Monday is columbus day... Shit! can't close them that day......I could do it today... but that big check thing freaks me out. AND! i would have to hold it to Tuesday...

UPDATE: I figured it out... Ill take out a large sum of cash today, enough to open an account and hold me over, probably just my first pay check and then get my account opened up on Tuesday, close other account whenever i can. :) woot! Unless they block me from cloing the accounts like the other guy.

Edited by EMT~SPARTA~

If I remember correctly, you can go to your new bank and tell them what you are planning on doing, and they can call your old bank to work out a transaction so that you don't even have to step foot in your old bank. I'm no money genius, so I may be wrong, but it's worth a shot to talk to your new bank first. Tell them you want to open an account with them, that all your money is at bank X, and see if it's possible to do a transfer. If not, then go to bank X, remove your money, take it directly to bank Y.

Is your credit union closing at 2 just because it's Friday? That's strange because Fridays are when most people deposite their money. Better call them and see how to work it out. They'll know much more than any of us.

Oh, and BTW, they will most-likely charge you some money to get your checks. Don't go to a bank that doesn't have free-checking, but expect a small fee to get physical checks printed. Don't let them charge you a fee for using your own money in a checking account.

Yea, my work is in Health Care and they are centered around the 7th day adventist. In other words, they believe that friday afternoon and Saturdays are the days of rest. So they don't let us work late friday, and dont let anyone work on Saturday, Obviously if you work in the surgical side, then you work, but if you dont have to, you relax.

I bank with USAA. It is a "military only" bank, but I believe you can be eligible if either of your parents served, as well. They're pretty awesome. No fees, give you free checks, awesome overdraft protection, and they even refund the fee you're charged if you use another bank's ATM. Just to name a few benefits. They offer a wide range of services... checking, savings, mutual funds/stocks, insurance, loans, etc.

I've been with them for 5 years and have nothing bad to say about them.

- JHunter

I am with BoA since 7 yrs now.

True to say i have not enough money to have any formal complain (such as I have no investments.. lol.. ) but i ve never had anything against it.

I built up my electronic process using my Debit card for every possible Online payment. Although I am not happy with the freaking incoming 5 bucks fee, I have to say I am mentally too lazy at the moment to start thinking all of the online account changes to match a new card.

Also I have my mortgage with BoA and the "one click" operation to manage it is priceless. Then my g/f has BoA as well and swapping money up and down from our accounts with one click is proceless as well.

I do not use ATMs that much but is nice to see wherever I turn my eyes there is a corner with a BoA sign.

All in all I was pissed when I heard about that $5 fee but then, I think I'll pay it. I have NO Other fees with my bank, I guess I can give 'em 5 bucks to make my life easier in many ways :)