Spartans Home

BF3 may be coming to steam! Hold your preorders

EMT~SPARTA~

THE BUZZ: Now, lets be clearthis is still just a rumor. However, its one too good for us to pass up.

Fan community website Battlefield 3 Blog is saying that theyve received an anonymous report from inside Valve that the company is in late-stage talks with EA about getting Battlefield 3 on Steam. According to the report, the deal would see BF3 making it to Steam in time to hit the games October 25th release date.

In that same report, its said that the main issue between EA and Valve up to this point has been a disagreement in regards to sales of DLC content. Valve wants all DLC for Steam-released games to go through Steam, while EA wants to sell DLC through their own services.

Again, still nothing but rumor, but this might be enough to convince some PC owners to wait a bit before doing any sort of pre-ordering. If youre not in any rush to get your pre-order in, then dont bewait a little longer, see if any announcement comes from this.

With how vocal fans have been asking EA and Valve to come to some sort of agreement, I wouldnt really be surprised if it does indeed happen.

Edited by EMT~SPARTA~

I remember hearing rumors a while back that EA just didn't want pre-orders to be made on Steam. I had an inkling they would allow BF3 to be purchased at/post-launch with none of the DLC or physical warfare rolled into the price on Steam.

Remember, Back to Karkand is only "free" when you pre-order. My theory: Once the game launches, that DLC you'll have to pay for separately, it will no longer be rolled into the price. Just a theory, but I think it's a pretty good one.

I think rooster is on to something. It makes sense as a business model... Technically that would equal the most money for them. And as a business, they have to ethically increase their shareholders wealth.

A ) Buy on Origin and get free dl content. Which equals more money since it's there Downloading host

B ) Buy on steam and have to pay for dl content. Which makes up for the loss they have to pay to steam. Isn't it a 30% to 70% ratio with steam? 30 to steam and 70 to EA?

So if just 30% of buyers buy on Origin, then they have solved the steam problem while still keeping the consumers happy.

Touche EA! TOUCHE!

Sigh...my opinion = I trust Steam more with my money and info. If this comes true, I will be paying for the dl content. Still feeding the beast though.

Smart though. I thought EA was shooting themselves in the foot with the no steam strategy, but we see the entire plan now.

Last question... even if we can buy through steam, does that mean we have to use Origin?

BTW B with ) next to it is B) ... I fixed it.

Edited by EMT~SPARTA~

I have to disagree:

best business model, become the sole distributor like: APPLE

Dominate like APPLE

Make all users that want it, come to you.. like APPLE

Steam is an unnecessary cost to EA, it costs EA extra resource to make a version for Steam.

Makes more business sense to be a sole Global distributor.

Why do you think APPLE are in full control of all their APPS?

Cost effective, full control, total domination of the market for their platform.

Why did EA start Origin? to make users that want the product come to them.

Why did EA pull Crysis2? same reason, full control of a popular product.

I doubt EA will let STEAM become a distributor.

THE BUZZ: Now, let?s be clear?this is still just a rumor. However, it?s one too good for us to pass up.

Fan community website Battlefield 3 Blog is saying that they?ve received an anonymous report ?from inside Valve? that the company is in ?late-stage talks? with EA about getting Battlefield 3 on Steam. According to the report, the deal would see BF3 making it to Steam in time to hit the game?s October 25th release date.

In that same report, it?s said that the main issue between EA and Valve up to this point has been a disagreement in regards to sales of DLC content. Valve wants all DLC for Steam-released games to go through Steam, while EA wants to sell DLC through their own services.

Again, still nothing but rumor, but this might be enough to convince some PC owners to wait a bit before doing any sort of pre-ordering. If you?re not in any rush to get your pre-order in, then don?t be?wait a little longer, see if any announcement comes from this.

With how vocal fans have been asking EA and Valve to come to some sort of agreement, I wouldn?t really be surprised if it does indeed happen.

w082326a.jpg

Only time will tell. I'll still always prefer Steam over Origin. Everything is redundant in BF3's case anyway, since everything you need is hosted from Battlelog. Origin has merely been bloatware that launches the application when the browser tells it to. My guess is if they do release a Steam version, they'll update their plug-in that launches BF3 to find/detect the BF3.exe in Steam folders as well. Which MAY mean that Steam versions don't need the Origin application to run.

But again, we'll see when Oct 25 rolls around. Viiiper makes an equally sensible point (from a fiscal/business point of view) and was one of the main reasons I was upset about Origin exclusivity in the first place. It makes sense, but I wish EA would just come right out and say it.

It's a point of business, if the result/answer is not what the customer is asking for, avoid the question or don't answer it. They are avoiding any comment & persist to not answer the issue raised, which means they had not planned on going that way.

EA like UBI, MIROSOFT, NVIDIA, APPLE, SONY, all avoid the issues raised on the questions of future products as they are plotting out their vision. If they were to confirm STEAM that would make alot of folks happy & give them +1, but they avoid it, simply put, then will not be moving to STEAM.

First rule of business: MAKE MONEY

Second rule: HAVE A PLAN

Third rule: IF IT GOES WRONG, HAVE A BACKUP

EA & ORIGIN:

Origin will be their focal point for money, their focal point of sales, if it goes wrong they can fall back on 3rd parties like direct sales & stores. If any talks are being made with STEAM it will be for the backup solution.

I hate to say it but all the big boys are doing the same.

It's sad, the business model pushes out the smaller companies in favour of the big boys.

We end up with their vision, our requests are secondary to their money making plans....

THE END.

Be careful what you wish for the last EA game I got available on disc and steam the MP is fubar the versions don't match.

That game is Shift 2, if it didn't have this prob I would recommend shift 2 to EVERYBODY but it does have this prob so I don't.